Winchester model 94 30-30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BeyondTheBox, Nov 17, 2011.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

So went out shooting for the first time yesterday had a ball with a couple 9mm, little 22, moss500, and the Winchester. Anyway, went through the first box of 30-30 and moved on to the second and, without paying attention, started loading. Turns out the seconds box was 243, and like a dill hole when I let the clerk who sold them to me, I just went ahead and shot the ****. The first fired, the second jammed and I can't get it out.

Any suggestions or similar experiences...?

2. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Yeah I put a .308 through a mosin nagant haha just put a rod down the barrel

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

This one is stuck in the magazine chamber, it won't even feed to the hole. I'm thinking that if I can tear it apart and remove the mag I can then use pliers with lube to pull it through.

4. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

In addition to your present troubles, you may want to be aware of loading pointy ammo into a tube magazine. 30-30 come in blunt tip for use in Win. 94's and the like.

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Then again its probably not the best way to go about it, but i'm at my wits end here. The thing won't budge. I was really hoping to get it chamfered and to the loaded position, from there it would've been easy to get it out, but being stuck between has really limited my options with safe removal.

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, i'm starting to regret my haste in this situation.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

YES- Grow a brain for gawgds sake :confused:

NOTE- Wont delete so you can all see i FINIALLY made a mistake:p
    BUT I was wrong on my ass/u/ming the OP was the stupid one :eek:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I think you mistake what was said. I didnt knowingly shoot 243 from it, i shot without paying attention to what the box said the ammo was. I trusted the clerk to hand me the right box, it being from the same cubby as the other box I bought, which was 3030. So while an hinest mistake, still a boneheaded one. I shouod have checked the bixes before I left the store, and especially before I loaded and shot it. Oh, and just found out I sisnt shoot one afterall. I found the missing round just now. So it never even chambered a 243.

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Yes u need to always check make sure right. Always shoot the proper ammo for the caliber u are shootin or a serious very bad judgement call may end yer life. An be damn careful tryin to pry live ammo out thats not even a smart choice go to a gun shop have a smith help before u kill yer damn self. An when u are done re take or take a hunter safety course

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Threy make balistic tip ammo for the 30/30 its called leverevolution

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

My mistake :eek:
    Sounded like you realized the mistake & went ahead & tryed to shoot them-
    Just go back & beech slap the fool who sold them to you :p

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Got it out after a very simple disassembly. Thought it wouod've been much more difficult. It was a pure brain fart for sure. Never felt such a fool. Good lesson learned for sure. Be the only person to handle the gun you're about to shoot, including its ammo, and the loading of. The only way to ensure your utmost safety.

13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

You werent wrong, I made more than one mistake. First was not checking the boxes before purchase, though I vant be sure it was my box that was wrong as I wasnt the only person to supply the ammo for it. Second was not checking the boxes before laying them out to be used for reloading. Final was allowing someone who's never even handled a gun do the reloading without properly teaching him to double and triple check that everything is proper and set. So I'm not at all alleviated from responsibility here, but still at fault nonetheless.

14. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Hey, a lesson learned and no harm done. Everyone has made mistakes in their lives, even me(just ask my wife).

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Indeed. I'm not to worried about it, though at the time it was quite the cause for concern. There were more stupid and safety neglectful things done that day, with three of the five guns having jamming issues. It was raining and the four of us were all huddled under a travel gazeebo I had brought, so in close quarters and with two guys pretty new to such things trying to adjust and release stuck casings and live rounds while pointed in the direction of another shooter inches away... Yeah, it could've been worse. There was a lot of "Whoa, whoa, whoa"ing and "watch it"s. Truly amateur and dangerous. This is why they have Hunters safety courses and the like. Its been a long time and the only one I ever took was archery specific, but I apparently need a refresher course. Not proud of how a lot of things were handled that day, but I'm definitely reminded of some good safety guidelines because of it.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Push the mag. gate down & let it slid out !

17. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

Now............be more careful what you shove into that thing. :)

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, found that out after a few failed and improper attempts.

19. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I would say the clerks biggest mistake was selling you the ammo. How was he to know you weren't shooting a 243 and a 30/30. The second mistake was made by the guy that took you shooting, assuming you knew what you were doing. The third mistake was having ammo at the bench that didn't match the gun (your fault). Even if you can't tell the diff, the ammo box is plainly marked for caliber. These rounds are not even similar, which proves you are pre novice. The clerk is actually faultless in the whole thing. You need to take responsibility and make sure you never make the same or any mistake. It could have been much worse, He could have sold you 32 special that would chamber and could cause catastrophic failure of the gun. In that case you could loose your face, hands or any combination of both. Do not make light of this, Learn from it. You f...ed up. make sure your new user name isn't, or you don't put someone "InTheBox'

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  20. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I totally agree. There is no room for "mistakes" with firearms. The clerk is a moron for selling you the wrong ammo... but you won the Darwin Award. Consider yourself lucky.