winchester model 77????

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by wyoming_wayne, Mar 12, 2012.

1. wyoming_wayne

wyoming_wayne New Member

i hope someone is fimiliar with these rifles. my grandpa handed me down a model 77 with tube fed magazine with a blonde stock. the stock isnt in the best condition but was told its a real nice shooter. are these good for a survival/plinking rifle or am i better off just getting a ruger 10/22? and if anyone can tell me where i could get a new or better condition used stock i would greatly appreciate it. thanks for reading my post.

2. hotrodz32

hotrodz32 New Member

Try numrich gun parts corp for the stock the model 77 was made from 1955 to 1963 with about 218,000 made all winny's are good shooters

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Till you clean your new to you rifle up and shoot a few rounds theresno telling how good it is. They pretty good good rifles if kept up. If the blueing is good it is worth more than a ruger for sure. if not make it a good shooter and let it be. Well if you need a unfinished stock here one-http://www.gun-parts.com/winchesterstocks/oct29_01.jpg Or just open the crack glue and screw it and and enjoy it.

4. wyoming_wayne

wyoming_wayne New Member

thanks for pointing me towards those sites. not only can i find parts for my model 77 on there but i can find parts for my model 94 and 97 as well!!! my grandpa handed me down those 2 as well :) . here are some pics of my model 77.

Attached Files:

5. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

For a rifle 50 years old or older it looks pretty good.

6. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Since the stock has already been refinished into the blond, wouldn't hurt it to use Citri-Strip and then restain it to a more appropriate Brown...
    or any other color you like ;)

It ain't that difficult...but I will advise to use a High Quality Stain...as in, Not Minwax...that's the cheap stuff...tends towards blotchyness & color seepage.
    Its available in more colors, but it is the low end and gives one a lower-end stain as compared to higher quality stains...
    Formby's, Old Dad's, General Finishes, Wood You brand, etc...get the good stuff, it ends up with richer color & depth :)

Now their Polyurethanes I like...and use their Marine Grade poly (Helmsman Spar) for hard-use hunting Gunstocks quite often...
    and the Crystal Clear for showpiece stocks...

But having done much furniture & gunstock finishing & refinishing...Minwax Stains just suck, IMHO

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012