Winchester Model 72

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Ruger52, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

I have a Winchester model 72 that was handed down to me by my Dad. He got it from My grandfather. I suspect it is somewhat old. I was wondering if someone knows when the Win. 72 was first made. I can tell you, this it is close to a heavy barrel. It probably has around 10 to 15 thousand rounds through it. Hell I put that many through it. I don't think my dad or grandfather shot it as much as I have.

Does anyone here own one? Where did you get it if so? Do you still shoot it?

BTW, I own two 10/22s and one Marlin 60. This old Win. model 72 is way more accurate than all three of them.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

There were 161,000 made between 1938-1959. There is no serial number so dating would be difficult. If the barrel is not tapered the value jumps by 30%. If you have the gallery model (22 Short ONLY) then it doubles the price.

I don't own one but if I did I sure would shoot the hell out of it. You can't wear out a rimfire unless you don't take good care of it and the bore rusts or pits.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Message to Joe-

Would send this as a Private Message, but you have opted out of PMs.

The little triangle with the ! sign is NOT to reply to a thread- it reports postings that are not appropriate. Clicking on that sends a message to all Moderators to check out the post.

Please do not pull the fire alarm unless we are on fire.

Hugs & kisses-
    C3- moderator