Winchester Model 72 .22 serial no. ?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Ruger52, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

I was cleaning my old Win. model 72 .22 the other day. I haven't shot it in a year. It never dawned on me before this. There is no serial number anywhere to be found. This rifle was bought by my grandfather, who knows when, probably in the 40's, maybe earlier. My dad gave it to me in 1979. It is the rifle that I learned shooting, and gun saftey with as a kid. I think dad let me start taking it into the fields of our farm when I was 11 or twelve. I started shooting it at about age 7.

I love this great shooting rifle. I used to take ground squirrls at 100 to 200 yards with open sights. It has never had a scope on it. I still love shooting it, but with the crunch on .22lr, it has just been a safe queen this last year.

So no serial. Am I in trouble?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Only if you ground it off.
    Many old rifles have no serial numbers. Don't worry about it.

3. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

I did remove the bluing, with intention or re-bluing. I have never gotten around to re-bluing. But any marks that were on it are still very clear. There is no indication that the serial numbers, or any markings were ground off.

Thank for the info. I wonder what the date was that serial numbers had to be on long guns?

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah I don't remember.

5. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

Thanks for the link. Trouble is I will be dead by the time I figure out what I am looking for with guberment speak.

My Model 72 Winchester was for sure made in the early 40's or earlier, since my grandfather bought it. I know that serial numbers were not needed by our overlords back in the day. If anyone knows what the date was that serial numbers came to be law on long guns, I would really apreciate info.

6. HankStone

HankStone New Member

I'll make it easy look here,my mouse is almost dead!

http://www.saf.org/lawreviews/zimring68.htm

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Rifles and shotguns were not required to be serially numbered until the 1968 Gun Control Act. I have about 2 dozen Remington and Mossberg 22s that have never worn a SN. However, DO NOT REMOVE A SERIAL NUMBER FROM ANY FIREARM. To do so is a felony.

8. HankStone

HankStone New Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013