Winchester Model 70

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mrBull, Jun 7, 2013.

1. mrBull

mrBull New Member

I was looking at getting a winchester model 70 for my next gun but was debating on a .300 win mag or a .300wsm. Some inputs & opinions on the advantages of each.

2. trip

trip New Member

I will start this off! What are you going to use it for? Targets, hunting?

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

first of all, good choice for a rifle. second, both of those are going to be somewhat expensive to shoot unless you reload. majority of places will likely have the 300 WM over the 300 WSM because it's been around longer and is more popular.

both are great rounds and each have their pro's and con's. the 300 WM is more than likely more readily available due to it's being around longer, but is one good shoulder thumper! the 300 WSM is a case of being really close to the same ballistics as the 300 WM in a shorter case and some less felt recoil.

both are great cartridges and would work fine for most any type of hunting. IMO, really a hard choice to make. maybe a few more details as to the intended purpose of the rifle.

4. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

The new 70 is a helluva gun I love mine. Between the old win mag and WSM I would opt for the WSM it is more advanced though there is no wrong answer to that question.

5. mrBull

mrBull New Member

First reason for the gun is the model 70 was america's rifle long before the remingtion 700 nothing against the 700 but the model 70 has such a long proud history in the hands of jack o connor & carlos hathcock. So first off I want one because of the guns history. Secondly I already have 11 guns including a 30-30 marlin & 308 bolt gun so I have most hunting scenerios covered except big game. I'm not going hunting for big game anytime soon but plan on saving for some hunting trips in the future. There is an 800yrd range near where I live & yes I can use my 308 there but I want a gun I can do a little practice w/ to eventually take to a longer distance. I have no practical use right now for this gun at all I just want another gun if i could have one of every gun then I might be happy enough to stop buying guns. I've shot a 300 win mag & loved it. I was considering the 300wsm because its garnered such popularity & the great the things I've heard about it. I'm just not as knowledgable on the pro's & con's of each round.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Mdl. 70 is America's rifle. The 300 Win. Mag. has a proven history on game and targets. The Mdl. 70 .300 Win. Mag. is a winner at Camp Perry, elk in the Rocky Mtns. and the USMC in many wars. Now that is history.:)

7. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Having owned several of both I would take a 70 over another 700 any day without question. The new FN version is better then ever.

8. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

I have, and have had, both. I shoot quite a bit. My .02:

1. The 300 Win Mag kicks a noticeable bit more.
    2. The WSM may not not feed quite as slick. The Win Mag case will tend to slide up a feed ramp more easily. That may not be much of an issue any more with the retro (classic) Win 70 action?
    3. The WSM takes less powder to reload. That's good.
    4. 300 Win Mag ammo would be cheaper and easier to find if I ran out or if the SHTF.

If there is any difference in accuracy, I have not noticed it.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

hey, hey, hey! now i gotta call foul here Apex! JK! my father has a M70 in 243 Win. that he bought in 1969 or 1970. i cleaned it up for him last year after it sitting in his gun safe for over 15 years and mounted a new scope to replace the one he put on it over 40 years ago! i shot it with handloads he had made for it over 20 years ago when he still reloaded for it. well that old M70 has probably shot several thousands of rounds through it and dad only used it for target shooting. well once i got it sighted in, it produced a pretty much one ragged hole group with all shots touching at 100 yards. yep, it was still as accurate as i remember!

not for sure exactly what model his is, but it's M700 equivilant would be a wood stocked BDL. his has the ebony fore end tip, metal grip cap, hinged floorplate, deluxe checkering, walnut stock and very deep and rich blueing. i can still remember when he bought the rifle new and holding it my first time when i was young. it was also the first centerfire rifle i ever shot and the first rifle used for my first few deer when i was young. even over 40 years later, i am still in awe of that rifle when i hold it or shoot it.

10. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Oh I am not saying the old ones are bad or anything, I first started deer hunting with my grandmother's model 70 243 great ol gun, but my new one is a little tighter shooting, and has a Mauser style action which I have always had a soft spot for.
    I wanted a Model 70 Sporter for the heavier contour barrel but nobody around here carries them, I was going to order one until I found my new featherweight on sale for $486 that was a deal just too good to pass up on, if I had the money I would have bought every one they had! Turns out I really like the feel of the featherweight and I get 1/2 MOA accuracy even with it's light weight barrel, I am sold.

11. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a model 70 in 300 Weatherby that I purchased in the early 90's and has been and still is one fine rifle. Both are fine calibers but around here anything with wsm in the name, ammo is hard to come by and when you can find it is expensive. For that reason I would go with the 300Win.