Winchester Model 70 .458 WinMag

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JonM, Mar 6, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

i talk about my 458 winmag a lot but ive never posted pics. mounted on it atm is a leupold VX-7 3.5-14x50mm Long Range. i know its way too much of a scope for this particular rifle but i got tired of destroying scopes after my elpaso weaver K3 gave up the ghost. many deer have been shot using this rifle.

this rifle i bought around 1988 as a special order rifle. its a classic super express with the only mod being a limb saver recoil pad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my typical load is a 350grn .458 soft point.

[​IMG]

.458 winmag compaired to .45acp

[​IMG]

if the weather ever cooperates ill do a range report with its ability to nail 300yd targets.

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

from speer's website:

these bullets have a tungsten carbide rod in the center to enable pass through shots on very dangerous game. they will also do quite a decent job disabling vehicles or goblins hiding behind brick walls.

4. AusLach

AusLach Active Member

I can't see why you need a recoil pad on that... :rolleyes:

Pussy :p:D

Over in SA I had 5 shots out of a .375H&H at the bench before they'd let me hunt. I was pleading with them to let me shoot standing but nope, it had to be over a rest. I probably would've only weighed 140lbs back then, 300 grainers were more than enough punishment for me!

Funny though, I didn't even feel the recoil when I shot my Springbok :cool:

5. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

That is one nice looking gun, and dang that is one hell of a round.

6. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

That is an excellent all around rifle for big game hunting. You can feel secure when hunting big game in Grizz country. This a great rifle to shoot cast lead bullets in the off seasons. I like the fact you can eat right up to the bullet hole no massive bullet damage to meat. You are at the top with a Mdl 70 .458.:D

DK

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yeah its strange how ya never notice the recoil taking a a shot on a game animal.

Thanks. Those are the smaller bullets they run about 2400ish fps. I don't have any 510grn atm they aren't commonly found on store shelves round here.

Its a shame winchester doesn't make that high quality sort of rifle anymore. Nowadays they use a high gloss paint that mimics bluing. You can tell the diff when you see it in person.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

That's why I love the 458. Put the round in the ribs no real meat damage just 2 45cal holes and the heart and lungs disintegrate dropping the deer instantly. I can hunt anything on the planet with it.

9. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

Nice rifle!

I have a cheap Bushnell scope on my CZ550 Lott (middle gun in the attachment) and it still works fine after 160 500 grain rounds. I use the .458 Mag rounds as my "plinkers" and the Lotts for the days when I feel like a little (?) more. I don't hunt with this rifle....merely a collector.

I would like to try some of the 350 grain bullets someday and I'm looking forward to your range report.

Winchesters are top-shelf in my opinion and as stated, nice rifle! I am envious sir!

Attached Files:

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a CZ550 in 458lott too i use it as my plinker :) its a topuch heavy and the barrel is a little long for my tastes in a field gun but the set trigger is superb and i love the express sights.

i bought it at a gun show for 500$ the price was right and it looked like it had only been fire a time or two. i think someone bought it and didnt know what they were getting heh.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Beautiful, Jon! Mod 70 is as good as they come (though that CZ550 is pretty nice, too).

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

the winchester is my second ever centerfire rifle and by far my favorite. my first was a colt sp1 so i went from 223 to 458 winmag. bought it when i was 21. i still remember the gunstore owner shaking his head at a kid that really wanted a winchester 458 lol. it also forced me to start reloading to be able to afford to shoot it.

im sure that gunshop guy thought he was gonna make a bit of money when i brought it back after shooting lol. but he did try very hard to talk me out of it and into a 30-06 instead.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jon,

That is a nice rifle! When you look at a good rifle you can just sense the quality just by looking at it. Someday I would love to find a real nice pre-64 Winchester in 30-06. But I like your 458 "NICE!" And the fact that a young man of 21 purchased it is Great! I bet the guy at the Gun Shop did think you would be back!

14. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

My shooting partner has a very clean pre-64 in .30-06 that he is probably selling.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks :) the old winchesters are indeed the best looking rifles produced in america. i just wish i had known about the super grade back then i would have waited to get one till i had the money.

i read a lot of stuff on african hunting and shooting big bore rifles before i took the first shot. i had 6 months to research everything i could find about them considering there was no real interweb back then it wasnt easy finding real info. i used the library at UT texas and SWT sanmarcos texas along with local libraries.

touching off that first 510grain elephant bullet was scary as hell. i fired one shot that first day. a week later i was back at the range and fired the other 19. i fell in love with the thing. after that i bought my first loading manual and press. it had open sights which are currently in the gun safe and for about a year thats what i left on it.

i soon bought an old weaver k3 or k4, i get it mixed up, off a guy at a gunshow for 20$. it was an el paso made scope with post reticle. that was one TOUGH scope it last until 3 years ago when it started to lose zero round to round. we are talking several thousand 458 magnum shots over the course of 20 years.

i dont always use the big 510 bullets most of the time its 350 or 400 grn loads. in that rifle its about like a 12ga 3inch mag slug in felt recoil. whenever i go to the range with it a crowd soon forms its not something people run across everyday.

16. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

Winchester Super Express

I purchased my Super Express in the middle 80s,and if I was to be limited to one rifle in would be my Mod.70 S.E.
    Mine is chambered for the .375 H&H and is beautifully accurate as well as being enough gun for anything I want to hunt.
    After I destroyed a couple of scopes I went to a M4 Leupold fixed 4x and have had no more problems.
    As far as I'm concerned the Mod.70 S.E. is one of the very best.
    Dan