winchester model 37A

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by wmille01, Aug 10, 2011.

1. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I need to change the srping mech in this extractor it won't eject the shells every time, some low brass it will but high brass it wont at all I have to use a push rod from my muzzleloader. I couldn't find anything really on it, I need help with this one.

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Is that a pin that I see there? If so, you should be able to push it out and the spring and ejector should come out. Cover the ejector so parts don't go a flyin'. ;)

3. CA357

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

its the pin that is slightly recessed in the picture that holds the extractor/ejector in place. Is the chamber in the barrel nice and smooth when you run your finger around it? Maybe you just need to really clean the chamber. It should be smooth and shiny just like the bore. Remove the ejector and spring(careful it is under tension) and clean that area. try the ejector without the spring and make sure it moves freely with no binding.

5. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

thanks guys I have pretty much no clue the only shotgun I've owned was an 870 and I never had to take apart and extractor before this.

6. CA357

This is pretty simple, just don't let that spring sproing away from you.

7. triggerman770

triggerman770 New Member

Mod 37A

for the part try Jack First 1-605-343-9544 as to the removal these guys are right on. be sure to tell them what gauge it is as some of the winny parts are gauge specific on the 37-A

8. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

I have seen a couple of versions of the 37 As two,the Redletter and the Steel built are about the same, The newest version of the 37 must be post 64 with a rolled scrolled design on the side and looks quite a bit on the cheap side like their semi auto 22 Model 190s during that time. I have a couple of Steel built 37As made in the late 50s. One in 20 Guage and the other 12ga. The extractors are so sturdy, I can't picture anything that could go wrong. Both of mine had good care, and are like new. I could see a dirty or rusted chamber causing the fired shell to stick and maybe the extractor pull off the rim of the shell casing, or a dirty extractor not releasing the snap to pop the shell casing. However the fact the high brass is worst, leads me to think back to chamber vs extraction. Difficult to tell without an examination. Good sturdy little guns for the most part