Winchester Model 37 .410

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by County Boy, Apr 26, 2014.

1. County Boy

County Boy New Member

I came up to see my parents this weekend and there was a gun show going on, so I stopped in before going to my parents. It's not a very big show by most standards maybe around 12-15 vendors, but there was a lot to look at. I made a couple of loops around the tables and found a model 37 .410. I own a 16 & 20 and kinda been on the lookout for a .410 and a 12. I was looking it over and it seems to be in decent shape the stock is solid with very little marks on it and the barrel looked good as well no rust and wasn't pitted at all, it was a little loose when I opened it, by holding it at the fore end and butt stock I could feel it was a little loose by rocking it back and forth. My other two shotguns do not do this and I was wondering if I should be concerned by this or if it is just part of normal wear and tear, the tag claimed it was pre 64 and I paid $190 for it. What do you guys think did I find a good deal or did I just give my money away. The dealer is a local person and the table he had was full of old Winchester rifles and boxes of old caliber ammo. This is the first .410 I have seen and he said they don't show up very often for sale and I tend to be an impulse shopper when I go to gun shows.

2. therukh

therukh New Member

If it is a pre-64 & even if the looseness is more than normal wear & tear, it should be worth what you paid. Since it fills a hole in your collection of 37's, I feel it is a worthwhile purchase. As far as the looseness is concerned, the way we used to check the tightness of single-shot break-downs like 37's was to make sure it is unloaded, close & lock the action & grab the barrel and fore end with both hands about 12 to 18 inches apart & shake the gun like you are trying to shake the stock off. If you feel any looseness then, the gun is worn more than regular wear & tear & we would pass on the gun.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

All of them are pre-64 because they stopped making them in 1963. Later they had the totally different model 37A's.

4. County Boy

County Boy New Member

I just tried what you suggested in your post and I didn't notice any looseness or rattles when I shook the gun, so I'll have to buy some ammo this week and shoot it and see what happens. Thanks for the help Therukh and hiwall on the difference between the model designation. I thought model 37A was a youth model not manufactured after 1964. Thanks again for your help

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is a little over a 100 bucks more than I gave for mine a couple of years ago..............

Attached Files: