Winchester Model 1886 45-90 Octogon Barrel

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Sgt_Skrb_25, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I today I had a gift passed down to me. A real deal model 1886 45-90. The serial is mid 5000. It was shipped in 1891. I will post pics soon. From what I've seen on the antique collection posts these are going from $2500 to 25,000. I'm going to get this thing appraised tomorrow. It's the darker one in the middle with the octagon barrel.

Attached Files:

2. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

My question is how to restore the wood and metal. Not sure I want to until I get it appraised, I don't want to de-value it. Minor discoloration on metal but not rust. Fully functional, lever action.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

just oil the metal clean the bore and lightly oil it.

leave the wood alone

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Your rifle appears to be an interesting 1886 45-90 and is a valuable find. I saw one in like condition sell for $3,200 dollars last month. Any attempts to improve this rifle's finish can lower the value substantially .:eek:

5. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I think I'll do that . Old school stuff is not my area of knowledge, I'm and AR/ 1911 guy. I just don't want to mess this thing up.

6. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I hope you're not thinking of selling that thing. "Passed down as in family? "

If any of my relatives had given me that I would definitely keep it. Unless selling it meant feeding my family and I had no job nor relatives to borrow money from.

But getting it appraised and not selling is a good idea.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  8. JonM

JonM Moderator

from the pics the discoloration is patina or a polite form of rust. patina is what happens from age when a firearm isnt regularly oiled and the oil dries up. over time the finish, which is bluing a form of rust, turns brown. you can distinguish patina from actual rusting metal is an acceptable patina doesnt have pits and is brownish instead of reddish.

the bluer it is and the fewer pits the more valuable the closer it is to original blueing color the better it was taken care of. patina only has a zero negative is when there are no preserved blued models left.

however if you try to remove patina it ruins the value as that takes it to bare metal and little value. while patina isnt always good its not all bad. removing it is always bad

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Don't touch it until you have it appraised, and have that done where they really know their antique Winchesters. I have an 1886 in 45/70 that is still a good and useable gun. That is one really nice piece there. Suitable for displaying over the fireplace! Be sure to keep it oiled though.

Did you get those other rifles in the picture too? Gonna sell any of them?

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

As the others have said 'leave the gun alone'. The front sight seems to be original but the rear sight looks to be a replacement but hard to tell in the pics. Why bother get it appraised? Are you planning to sell? The gun is in a desirable caliber (you can shoot 45-70's in it). Rather than getting it appraised I would spend the hundred bucks (or current price) and get a 'factory letter' on the gun.

11. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I'm not sure. I don't need the money, but I personally don't believe weapons are like baseball cards to display. I appreciate the history and beauty of the gun, it would drive me nuts to just have it sitting in the safe for the rest of my life. I think someone would enjoy having it in their collection, and save me my sanity of looking at a rifle I can't shoot.

12. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Jon,
    Thank you for the knowledge, I do remember seeing that patina was a factor in value. I really don't think I'm touching this at all. I will leave it alone.

13. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I didn't get those. I am just cleaning them for family. My uncle was given these years ago. There's a few rare ones there too. There's a original Winchester 1894 Legendary Lawmen, there's a Winchester Model 94-32WS, a Marlin 1894 -357 Magnum Micro Groove, a Chinese SKS,

14. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I think I will do that. How do I go about doing that. Online?

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Is it a family heirloom? There's nothing wrong with proudly displaying an heirloom. Bear in mind I shoot all my guns. My advice is to take it to a very competent Smith to be examined. Make sure its in good working order and then if it is there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't take it to the range on occasion to shoot. The rest of the time you can display it.

16. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I would be worries I would damage it and de value it it somehow. Not familiar with the 45-90 caliber. Where do I find the ammo for it?

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

If its in good working order i doubt you'll damage it with occasional use.

I don't know much about the 45-90 caliber but someone else said you can shoot 45-70 out of it. If that's true that should help in getting ammo.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45-90_Sharps

It would be very easy to reload for probably.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The 45-90 ammunition is available from Buffalo Arms. These are loaded for older rifles such as yours. If you decide to shoot the 45-70 use the low pressure "Cowboy" loads in the 1886. :)

19. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

20. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Can anybody ball park a value on this?