Winchester Mod 70 vs Tikka T3

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Apextree, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Apextree

Apextree New Member

I've decided to buy a new hunting rifle this yr and Im considering the Winchester mod 70 or the Tikka T3. I would like to hear pros & cons with both. I have a Brownning A bolt right now and the reason I want to replace it is because the magazine is to short to reload the bullets to the proper length. I would like to know if either of the rifles I'm concidering is capable of being reloading the bullets to the lands. Thank for any advice you may have.

2. Model70

Model70 Member

That would mostly depend on what caliber you choose. A 300 win mag was designed to fit in a 30-06 length action, so generally to seat them to the lands they don't always fit in the magazine.

I own several model 70's, and a few tikka's. I like them both.

The new model 70's I think are the superior rifle. I'm a big believer in the controlled round feed action. Positive control of the cartridge from the moment the bolt contacts the case head. They have the MOA trigger--which is amazing--and the hinged floor plate magazine, allowing 3-5 cartridges, depending on caliber. Cost? $700- $1100

The tikka is also a fine rifle, nice triggers, a super smooth action, and mine are tack drivers. I don't love the receivers, not enough bedding area IMO. I don't care for detachable magazines, my .243 only holds 3 cartridges, and most everything is plastic. Cost? Around $500-$600 generally.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either, but if you have the means, I'd suggest model 70.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The Tikka is a fine rifle, no doubt.

But given a choice, I'd pick the Model 70 any day.:)

4. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

My advice is to always get the highest quality product you can, and in this case that would be the Winchester.