Firearms Talk banner

Winchester M22 Subsonic

1K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  JTJ 
#1 · (Edited)
I took my Savage FVSR to the range today to try out the M22 Subsonic copper plated 45 grain 22lr from Winchester. Had problems. After about 15 rounds it would not extract the spent round from the chamber. I did not have any other ammo with me to test the extractor so I went home and cleaned the bolt and the slots on the barrel. The extractor looks good but it wont even extract unfired M22 rounds. Ran CCI through the mag with no problems. The M22 dry cycled through my Ruger 22-45 and 10-22. I was not impressed with the accuracy either. Maybe my FVSR just does not like M22. I will have to go back to the range with a couple more guns.

#2 ·
Did a little more looking and the M22's have an extremely thin rim. I miked some spent rounds and they were 32 thousandths. CCI rims were 42 thousandths. Might be the cause of the problem.

#3 ·
Did some serious scrubbing on the bolt with particular attention to the extractor and ejector along with the barrel face and slots. I just ran 3 rounds of CCI Quiet and then 5 rounds of M22 without a glitch. Nice to have a suppressor and a bullet trap in the garage. Also checked the rims on some unfired M22 and I may have run into some that were thin. The other box is looking more normal and is miking out closer to 40 thousandths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.