Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Model 70 in 458 win.mag. in left hand configuration. Serial number indicates that it was made in 1956. Beyond that, I can find no info. on how many LH were made of the pre 64. Inquiry to Winchester received response from Browning stating they didn't have records from Winchester and that they couldn't help. Anybody know how I might learn a little about this gun. Shoots good. Bring on the zombie elephants.

·
Supporting Member
12,913 Posts
Mike,

They are a beautiful Rifle. And I love the fine Walnut Stock that is on them. I have a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 Like Carlos Hathcock had in Vietnam. Still had a 50's era Weaver Scope on it.
I got it out of state. It had been a Safe Queen mostly since 1955 when new. The bolt face still has the finish on it undamaged! If it had been shot at all I could not tell it?
Congrats of the great find and being a "Left Hand" find is ever more rarer! (y)
Oh By the Way we like Pictures and Range Reports!:)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hmm, Winchester built a rifle and somehow the bolt got put in backwards. Then, it slipped through Quality Control and sold to the public.

My guess would be, only one.

J/K

Left hand production is typically 10%. Left hand in .458Win, I would suspect as RARE.

Welcome aboard.

A history of Win serial #'s is bound to exist. Finding it could be fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, Winchester built a rifle and somehow the bolt got put in backwards. Then, it slipped through Quality Control and sold to the public.

My guess would be, only one.

J/K

Left hand production is typically 10%. Left hand in .458Win, I would suspect as RARE.

Welcome aboard.

A history of Win serial #'s is bound to exist. Finding it could be fun.
Only info I’ve found is the manufacture date 1956. I believe that was the first year model 70 was produced in 458. Approx.1200 we’re made between 1956 and 64. seems a left hand variant among that number would be rare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts