Winchester Ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by upssmann, Apr 15, 2012.

1. upssmann

upssmann New Member

Was wondering if any one has used the winchester power max bonded bullets , was thinking of trying them this year 2012 wisconsin deer season ?

2. kaido

kaido New Member

I've got a friend who used them in his 7mm Rem Mag. He still uses them To this day, so I'll assume their a pretty nice deer round. But he's also using a pretty crazy caliber for deer.

I've only seen them used on water jugs and an old car radio. The jug was non-existent and the radio was pretty mashed after wards too.

3. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I shot some in my 30-06 and they was good but my gun likes the federal vital shock more so I might try them again

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They shoot good and do awesome amounts of damage

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I'm not sure about the power max but my dad used ballistic silver tip in his 300sm and shot an 8 point last year. We don't know if the round hit a limb or something causing it to fragment early, but the entrance wound was the size of my fist and the exit was the size of my head. He is going to check into it before next season he might start using something different. It was to much over kill there was nothing left of the front 2 shoulders.

6. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I would take the silver tip over the power Max I'm going to shoot them in my semi auto 06 and my new 308 tell I start reloading for it

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I haven't hunted with Power Max, but I did run a few boxes of it (308win) through my AR-10 a while back at a 200yd range.

It was an accurate round for me. My groups always tighten up with 168gr, but I found the results of the affordable 150gr Wally-World Power Max to be very adequate. Nothing else I shot above or below 168gr could touch it. My rifle is a 1/10 twist.

8. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I have killed 2 animals with the Powermax bullets. Both fired from a 30-06, both 180 grain. An antelope lung shot resulted in a dead antelope but that small an animal and that broadside shot is not a good test of the bullets performance. The mule deer I shot at 25 yards, angle towards me at a steep uphill shot did test the bullet. The shot took him at the shoulder and mashed the spine. The bullet was recovered in horrible condition but what remained was badly mangled but core and jacket did not seperate. I have witness this same shot angle many times in my carerr as a hunter and guide and it is a major bullet destroyer. With this limited use, so far I am impressed, however the jacket is thin thus regulating it to deer sized animals in my opinion.