Winchester '94 Project

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by TheOldMan, Sep 12, 2013.

1. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Hey all.. Last night my mother-in-law dropped this relic into my hands :) She had no idea what it was. She's been cleaning out her house and ran across this and several other nice things (in my opinion) to pass along to her favorite and only son-in-law.. ME ! Anywho, she knows that I do restorations and thought I could use this for parts or whatever. What you are fix'n to see turned out to be an 1894 Winchester with a serial number range that places date of manufacture at 1961 Ser# 246XXXX. Still not clear on caliber but most likely it will be 30-30 Win. I plan to restore this so I will start by posting the "before" pictures.

Attached Files:

2. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

More Before Pics

More before pictures..

Attached Files:

3. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Until I've gotten this out of the dunk tank, I will not know the extent of the rust damage. It does appear that the receiver is good enough to work off of. Aside from my labor, I'm putting the restoration costs (parts) at around $450-$500. More if I chose better wood furniture...

Enjoy and plz leave comments..

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yikes That's alot of work. Looks like you'll about break even on it.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Subbing for future updates. Good luck!

6. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Can't wait to see the finish results, I would soak that thing is some serious solvent for a week! I've never seen a gun that bad that hasnt been dug out of a hole.

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I'll be posting updates as I progress. Bear, I've come across a few that look like this one does and they are in various stages of rebuild. Projects like this are the fun ones that I do for myself between clients guns.. The other one I've got is a Ruger Single Six that spent two weeks in a river then 2 years in a barn .. I'll post pictures sometime when I get started on it =)

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Winter is coming. That should be a good project.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'd like to follow along and see how this turns out too!:D

sounds like an interesting project.

10. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Nice project, very interested in how it comes along..

11. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I was able to strip out the receiver and inspect the barrel more closely. The rifle is missing several screws and the twin leaf springs for the trigger assy. Barrel bands and a few other parts are also missing. The barrel is toast and will have to be replaced. I've got the inards soaking so I can't report on the overall condition of the bolt however I had to "coax" the bolt assy. out of the receiver with a punch and hammer. I will remove both cartridge guides to fully disassemble the receiver and will report on it's viability. Right now I've got to finish up a Browning High Power and a Jennings .22 for a client so I will not get to this rifle until next week at the earliest. The most I will get done will be to assess the overall condition of what I have then put together a parts list and go from there. I will continue updating my progress..

One other thing... I was able to get a better look at the serial number and it now appears that it was born in 1959: #245xxxx..

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  12. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

Looks like you have a real project but since it's your gun and not a client's it should be more of a fun project as you could try some risky things and not have to worry about a client's gun. I hope it works out and please post some pics. Just wondering....a gunsmith friend of mine is into dipping guns and bows and offers a variety of finishes....a lot of prep work and a lot of time involved.Have you ever thought about going down that road? He did this old Star Model Super in a skull pattern...a gift for my grandson. here's some before and after pics. Best of luck on your project. Dick

Attached Files:

13. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Pretty slick look but no, I've not looked into it I'm pretty much all conventional at the moment. I'll be posting more pictures of how everything cleaned up very soon. I mentioned early on that the barrel was toast.. Not only was the rifling beyond dead, the barrel itself had a nice slight curve to it. Never seen a barrel bowed like that and if I hadn't been running it on the lathe for polishing, I'd not noticed it. Fact is it was wobbling pretty good so I checked it on a level surface and sure enough it was bowed about 1/4" down it's length.

14. greenriver

greenriver New Member

Subscribed, This Winchester 94 fan want to see how it turnes out.

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Why not have the barrel relined? That way will maintain its markings?:)

16. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

No good since the barrel is also bent or more to the point, bowed. Pretty sure that makes it unusable doesn't it?

17. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

With the price and availability of barrels being what they are I'd still like to know if the barrel on this rifle can be salvaged? when I place the barrel on a flat surface, I will see an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch bow from end to end.. I'm wondering if a could apply some heat and straighten the barrel back out..

18. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

if you can get it straight fine. but it would likely be a chore to get it perfect. don't think you need to heat it

19. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

After my dad's win94 was "legally" stolen by my cousin, I cherish my father in laws rifle. It's in very good shape, and damn it shoots nice. I've built up a collection of WS32 ammo to feed it on occasion.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013