Winchester 94 .30-30 or Henry .30-30?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Model_94, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Model_94

Model_94 New Member

I'm interested in buying a new Winchester model 94 .30-30. I've always liked the lever action repeaters and like the traditional look of the Winchester but have also been considering the Henry .30-30.
    Anyone have an opinion as to which is the better of the two? I'll be buying new so keep that in mind.

thanks in advance,

2. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I'd go with the Winchester. - The Henrys don't look quite right to me, and I know for a fact that the Winchester holds its value better.

Having said that, Henry owners comment about the smooth action.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

3rd choice- Marlin 336.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

3rd choice Mossberg 464

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Ditto, to what he said.

7. Wyte

Wyte New Member

Winchester. Don't know if anythings different on the new ones, but I have one that was made in 1897 and it still shoots as good as any of my new guns

8. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Why complicate things, buy some of each, thats what i did....:D . I have a soft spot for 30-30 lever guns, starting to get a little out of hand. Seems like the Marlins start out a little tight/rough, but get about 200rnds thru them, smooth as silk.

Attached Files:

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

appearance wise, i am partial to the Winchester M94. the Marlin 336 seems to have a beefier action though and is more easily scoped than the earlier Winchesters. the Henry's seem to be very solid and the action is danged smooth.

IMO, any of them would be a good choice.

10. AR10

AR10 New Member

Mine is so much newer than yours, 1898. Lol

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Winchester was made flat and short to ride comfortable under a leg while mounted on a horse. It was the rifle of the woodsman and rancher. There are other rifles with levers but there is only one Winchester.:cool:

12. Model_94

Model_94 New Member

Thanks everyone for the input

Thanks to all for your input. I had the same opinion as most of you had so I went for the Wichester 94 Carbine .30-30. I like the traditional look of the carbine. I guess my main concern was that I read somewhere that Wnchesters are stamped vs. machined so I wasn't sure if the consensus would still support the Winchester at the current price. It turns out not to be an issue from what I can tell - no one mentioned that so I didn't let that keep me from getting the Winchester.

I agree with one of the comments that something about the Henry didn't look quite right and I hadn't seen or considered the Marlin's.

Now if people would just calm down and stop the feeding frenzy on ammo maybe I could get some rounds for it!

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Learn to reload. The .30 WCF is where many of us first learned to reload. You will enjoy shooting your own home brewed ammo. :)

14. Model_94

Model_94 New Member

Reloading - where do you learn to do it?

Not sure what restrictions our great state government has placed on reloading supplies - sure they let you reload but might not let you have what it takes to do it - they know what's best for us of course.

I've never done any reloading - where does one go to learn something like that? Is the powder etc. readily available?

Of course I assume that you have to buy some rounds in order to get the shells to reload - or can you buy empty shells? Somehow it seems potentially dangerous! How do you store the reloading supplies? They need to be kept dry and in a spark proof container I would imagine.

I am very mechanically inclined so I'm sure I would have no problem picking it up quickly - just don't want to introduce any unnecessary paranoia in my household. My girlfriend is Chinese and only knows the receiving end of a gun and isn't real thrilled that I own more than I can hold at one time!

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I don't know of any state that prohibits reloading of normal supplies. Stop by any Gun Shop that sells reloading supplies. They will be able to introduce you to reloading. They will not have answers to your romantic or domestic problems. I think that is some thing you will have to deal with. This is a shooting forum we do not do well with marital problems.;)

16. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Powder and primers probably won't be any easier to find than loaded ammo right now. New cases are available from a number of places. Reloading lets you tailor your loads to your gun and lets you shoot more for the same money.:D

17. Model_94

Model_94 New Member

I think you are right about availability of the raw materials. I checked Midway and they are not even taking backorders for casings, bullets etc. The gun control measures went no where as expected - but the panic seems to continue unabated. Not sure how much of this is panic buying vs. government orders using up all the manufacturing capability. If manufacturers were producing consumer rounds at capacity I can't imagine there would be a shortage. Certainly they have the capacity to produce enough rounds to meet demand if that capacity were not being used for other non-civilian orders.

18. Model_94

Model_94 New Member

Understood - she'll get over it anyway. She grew up under MAO so has a programmed fear of guns having seen the Red Guard successfully eliminate those that would not keep in line. She is starting to understand that without an armed civilian population you end up with a guy like MAO at the helm.

19. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Hell its possible we cause marital problems. (money spent on guns and ammo)