Winchester 70

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by saviorslegacy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I have set my eyes on the Winchester model 70 and I like what I see.
    Thing is... there is a MOUNTAIN of Winchester model 70s and IDK where to begin.

"What I want out of it."
    I want an accurate long range rifle that is light and preferably in 308. If you have a suggestion on a better round then lets here it.
    I like the blued look.

Over all, give me your opinion on the rifle. What you liked, what you didn't so on and so fourth.

2. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Well, my Win 30-30 was my first deer rifle...

BUT, My model70 xtr in .308 has harvested more Elk & deer! I have been
    hunting big game for 30 years & love my 1981 mdl 70!:)

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

if your going to get the model 70 get the supergrade version. i got a mod 70 supergrade in 30-06 for my dad for christmas last year he loves it. its a sweet rifle ive fired it a few times and its a really nice one.

my model 70 is an african in 458 winmag. the only thing with them is you shouldnt load them by dropping a round in the chamber and just closing the bolt. they are control feed rifles and loading them like a push feed as in a remington 700 can damage the extractor. model 70 its best to load from the magazine only.

4. Maverick

Maverick Member

+1. My Mod 70 / 7 MM is the same way. Only likes to be fed from the mag.

5. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Just curious.... what makes the super grade better?

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Model 70? Creamy and delicious. Tough to beat the Model 70 Mauser action. My Classic Stainless has seen some really crappy weather and rough treatment and it shrugs it off. Rain, snow, ice, mud, dust, sand, it just does not care. The action feels like it cycles on ball bearings, and it turns in nice tight little groups.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

M14, looks like S. Central has fallen down and given you room to roam. Great rifle.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Those pics were in Utah. But I think South Central fell years ago.

9. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I currently own the Model 70 featherweight deluxe in 325 WSM.

I cant think of anything that I dont like about it........well except maybe the cost. They aren't cheap.

I like the blued look too.

10. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Damn dude that is a pretty gun.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Thanks. She's a keeper.

12. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Quick question.
    Have you bagged on trophies with that rifle?

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Meat, yes. Trophies, no. Not a lot, though. My friend also used it on some wild hogs before he gave it to me.

I love hunting, but find myself killing less and less as the years go by. Just for meat.

14. shortbolt

shortbolt New Member

Here's one I owned 14 years ago in .270..ran across it in a local pawn shop just before Christmas..ran the serial #..sure enough it turned out to be mine. Havent seen one like it in 12 years. Called a Featherweight "All-Terrain". Only made them for 2 years. Had this biggo glass on it. Waiting on a set of Dednutz rings to get here so I can mount my 2.5-8 on it.
    I have owned MANY 70's and NO problems with ANY. Looking for a post '64 in .257 Roberts now. Get ya one(or more) you wont regret it
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

That is a great looking rifle. But that scope must go...

16. DPSTX

DPSTX New Member

My M70,243 in the center, with the built-to-match Winchester 52 above and the Future Schuetzen Match rifle,243 M70 action below
    [​IMG]

Love the Model 70, minus the 1964-68 models....

DPSTX

17. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

I bought a pre 64 Model 70 Featherweight in the early 60s, brand new. It stays, until my cold dead hands are pried from it. With an old Weaver K3, post crosshair, it will shoot MOA with it's free floated barrel in 30-06 caliber. No clue where it ended up at, but a Model 70, pre 64, medium/heavy barrel in the 30-06 caliber, was issued in Nam. Also very accurate with 30-06 Match or 162 grain AP rounds. Scopes back then might fail, but the Winchester, NEVER!:D