winchester 300 win mag stocks and barrels

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by razorbaq, Oct 9, 2011.

1. razorbaq

razorbaq New Member

Ok so today I bought a winchester model 70, .300 win mag. I've never owned a rifle this big the only reason I bought it was I thought the 300 dollar price tag was a good deal. Well I've been looking around and seen one that had a nice mcmillan stock and a bull barrel with a muzzle brake. Well I cannot find stocks or bull barrels anywhere, Does anyone know where aftermarket stocks and barrels are sold for the model 70 300 winmag? I would atleast like to put a bolt on muzzle brake on it to try and tame it down a little bit. And a tactical mcmillan style of stock would be nice.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out McMillan stocks, they offer several that fit Winchester M70 actions.

3. razorbaq

razorbaq New Member

Anyone know a site for the barrels

4. Axxe55

Shillen, Mcgowan, Krieger, Lilja, Hart plus more. just google custom rifle barrels, it will come back with many sources. why do you want to change the barrel?

5. razorbaq

razorbaq New Member

Well I would imagine Its not really gona make much of a difference, I always like a bull barrel on my other smaller bore rifles to cut down on heat and seems like accuracy is a little better, Although I doubt I will be busting as many rounds through this as I do on my .223 or rimfire rifles. The barrel thats on it now Is very accurate all though it seems like it has been shot alot, Not real rough but is a little bit, So I would like to put a new barrel on it so I figure just go with bull barrel and would like to have a bull barrel with built in muzzle brake or flash suppressor.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You will spend between 1000 and 1600 dollar to do what you want. You have a stock name you want and axxe55 listed barrels . Now find a great smithy to deal with To put it all together. Don't forget a match grade trigger assembly too and a 600 to 2000 dollars worth of scope and mounts to with with a up graded barrel and stock.

Might be better to sell that winny and look at savage palma or leo line of rifles to find what you would like and save some aggravation and money

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  7. Axxe55

hardluk is right, i bought a brand new bare remington M700 action, by the time it gets back from McGowan i will have about $1400 in the barreled action. now if recoil is the main culprit here, find a gunsmith that can thread the barrel and install a muzzle brake and put on a good recoil pad, then you will take a lot of the felt recoil out of the rifles. i have shot many large caliber magnums that were muzzle braked, that felt more like a 25-06 or 308!

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Here you go...

Fiberglass Stocks, Synthetic Stocks, Tactical Stocks, Hunting Stocks, Benchrest Stocks, Competition Stocks

Home Krieger Barrels

Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Main Page

Elite Iron High Quality Suppressors

Jewell Triggers at MidwayUSA

Scope Rings | Badger Ordnance

100 yard zero 1017.2010 001.jpg

053.jpg

Barrel---Krieger #9 Heavy Target (MTU) or Bartlein #7 MTU
    Stock--- McMillan A-5
    1" Decel Pad on butt of A-5 stock
    You'll have to search for detachable magazine bottom metal if you want this feature on your rifle. I'm not sure who makes good ones for the Model 70 Winchester. I prefer AI magazines as they are very reliable so try to find the bottom metal that accepts the AI magazines.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  9. Axxe55

mrm14, is there as much aftermarket support for the winchester M70 as there is for the remington M700? i know many years ago the M70 was one of the go to actions for building custom rifles, and even the army and marine corps fielded a few for sniper rifles during the vietnam war. i am not as familar with the M70 as i am with the M700. i do know that they were very good rifles and still command premium prices.

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

The Remington 700 has more aftermarket supprot for custom parts and pieces than the Winchester model 70. A great deal of aftermarket recievers such as Surgeons, BAT, Pierce Stiller, etc... are externally patterned after the Remingtion 700 action. It's just the way it is.

11. Axxe55

kind of what i thought. probably most of the custom gun builders make parts for the ones they build. my dad has one in 243 he bought in '68 or 69. totally stock except for scope and sling. still looks new.

12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Not so much as you think. What will fit and work for a Remington 700 reciever works for alot of the aftermarket recievers. They just pattern the external dimensions of their recievers to work for what is made for the Remington 700 reciever. For this disiplin of shooting my observation is that barrels are expendable. 243 guys, for example, use up 2 or so barrels a year if they are going to stay competitive. Also, in my observations, although a barrel burner, 243 (6mm) does rock.

13. razorbaq

razorbaq New Member

Axxe55 finding a smith to thread on a muzzle brake and putting on a recoil pad is probably what im gonna do, Im defenatly not gonna shoot this gun enough to put a couple grand into it. Its not nearly as bad as everyone I know was making it out to be, Its a little more kick than my remington 1100 3inch magnum but defenatly something I cvan deal with. Thanks for the input guys.

14. Axxe55

a few years ago, i shot a friends custom built 340 Weatherby Magnum rifle, that was muzzle braked. it was night and day difference in recoil. i have had large caliber magnums in the past, and the only way i would own one now is if it had a muzzle brake on it.

15. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

The 300 Win. Mag. rifle I have weighs 17 lbs. 1 oz. which includes the scope weight of 39 oz's. and with the muzzel brake and the 1" Decel pad on the butt of it the felt recoil feels less than a .223 cal.

16. Axxe55

mrm14, at 17 lbs, i don't think it matters if it has a muzzle brake!