Winchester 255 takedown?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by ckirby, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ckirby

ckirby New Member

Does anyone have instructions for disassembly of a Winchester 255? My dad gave me his old one and it's been laying around gathering dust for years. It needs a good cleaning.

2. ckirby

ckirby New Member

Thanks, but I started there and they don't have one for the 255 that I can find. Not sure what it is with this gun but it seems to be difficult to find any info on.

3. Highpower

Highpower New Member

That's going to be a tough one. :(

Best I could find was an exploded drawing, but zilch on instructions.
    Best advice I could offer would be to ask the folks over at rimfirecentral.com.

Good luck.

4. ckirby

ckirby New Member

Thanks for your help. Dunerunner found it for me here [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOoEF29vTuo]YouTube - Winchester rifle disassemble clean and reassemble 225, 22 Caliber Magnum .[/ame]

5. shadowthorn21

shadowthorn21 New Member

Looking to buy a winchester model 255. My grandpa had one a long time ago and used to shoot it with me. Would you be interested in selling yours or know of where I could pick one up from. Would appreciate any help.

Signed,
    Jon T

Tack76nfd@gmail.com

6. ckirby

ckirby New Member

Sorry Jon, The gun was my dad's and I won't ever part with it. It will be passed down. The only one I have ever seen to be honest is this one. They didn't make them for very long and they weren't very popular I don't think. Good luck finding one.

7. shadowthorn21

shadowthorn21 New Member

Thanks Buddy, and I completely understand the attachment. I have a Marlin 444 passed down from my late late grandfather to my dad to me that will have to be pried from my cold....well, you know the rest. I appreciate the reply and wish the best to you.

Jon

8. SteveK

SteveK New Member

This may sound crazy but what I do is check my local Library and see if they have any manuals, I found one for 22 rimfire from gun digest by J,B. Woods. Maybe your rifle is in there.

9. ShotgunKelly

ShotgunKelly New Member

Need help w/ my Winchester 255

Hello,
    just signed up to this forum, actually found it searching for info on my Mod 255. Anyway, does anyone know where to find or get owners manuals that are no longer offered from the manufactuer? I have tried to contact Winchester and they couldnt help, I tried the library like SteveK mentioned and no luck there either. I saw the YouTube video ckirby posted and that was cool but not that informational. I just bought the gun at a local auction and got a good deal on it judging by the prices I have seen listed on Gunbroker and USAguns, but pretty much I think I bought a really nice mantel piece. "It dont go bang.", as my beloved granfather so gracefully put it. I cant figure it out, i have taken it apart several times and still nothing. It cycles like its supposed to, but the trigger will not pull when the lever is closed. It almost feels like the safety is on, but its the same either way. If anyone knows anything, please help. Thanks.
    Oh yeah, I also looked at Numrich Gun Parts to see if they had a exploded view, and they dont.

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Shotgunkelly,Finding an owners manual for one of these will just be luck.
    If there are any gunsmiths near you,they can probably fix it for you.The 255 is a pretty simple gun to work on,Push out the receiver pin and the entire action will just come out.
    I have one of these rifles,and they are great shooters.

[​IMG]

11. ShotgunKelly

ShotgunKelly New Member

Txhillbilly,
    Thank you for your response. I agree that findin a manual is gonna be hard. And I found the problem, after lookin at it for about 8hrs straight. I had suspected the problem to be something to do with the safety, and I was close. It ended up being the trigger spring where it rides next to the trigger and on top of the safety pin. the problem was that the spring was bent slightly to where it was under the trigger and when pulled, it would not allow the trigger to get its full travel so it could trip the hammer catch/release. So after several times of removing, bending slightly, and installing I finally got it to where it operates properly. Now when the trigger is pulled you can feel a slight "take up" before it contacts the catch/release. Then it is a very fine, crisp release. Does yours have a similar feel in the trigger? Thanks again, now its time to put some rounds down range! This baby is brand new, after taking it apart I can see that it has only been fired maybe once or twice. There is no wear on any of the sliding surfaces of the bolt, and the face of the hammer shows no evidence of where it has hit the back of the pin.
    ShotgunKelly