Winchester 1917 30-06

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by DarinCraft, Jan 9, 2011.

1. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I got a 1917 from a neighbor that has been sporterized. The bluing is shot and the stock looks like it was used to pound in nails. I want to rebuild it but I had some questions about it.

I understand that it's a good gun, but I want to know if this gun is just destined to be a field gun or do they have potential above and beyond that?

Thanks guys.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

photos please kind sire.

3. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Ok, but I just took it apart

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Damn that stock is rough for sure. Thats a hell of a rifle though. Hell just paint it all tactical with some coyote tan or something and dont forget the flashlight and bayonet.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The front sight is gone and the rear sight mount has been removed, likely ground off. So it would be pretty tough to restore it to a military configured rifle and not worth the money or the agitation.

They're excellent rifles and pretty accurate. The receiver is probably the strongest receiver you can find with maybe the exception of the Arisaka. It will shoot sporting rounds of any flavor.

I have an Eddystone and I love it, probably too much. :eek:

If I can help in any way, let me know.

Here's two links to mine. The first link is a simple clean up and a new recoil pad. The second was just recently completed and included a Huber match trigger. If you want to improve the rifle, that trigger makes all the difference in the world.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/1917-eddystone-project-18556/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/1917-eddystone-sporter-revamp-32977/

6. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I misspoke I didn't mean restore, I meant to say clean up. Sand the stock and either paint it or reblue.

I'm gonna check you links right now.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The stock does not look to be that bad. For dings, you can try the steam method. Place a damp cloth over the effected area, place a dry choth over that and use a moderatly hot iron. It will lift/ swell some of the wood back into place. Also just wiping it down w/ BLO (boiled linseed oil) will bring it back.
    Here are some before and after pics of a Mauser, it is hard to really see how much better the stock looks, but it is so much better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yours is a hunting rifle, so dings and scratches are part of the history. It happens!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  8. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

DARIN, you arent serious are you? Refinish? Paint? Oh my god I dont tnink it even has a dent or ding. Paint? You cant be serious. People that paint a wooden stocked rifle are the same type people that puts bull horns on a Rolls Royce. The rifle has been too sporterized to have any collectors intrest. They are great guns and this seems to be an excellent rebuild. These types of sporterized military guns are so heads and shoulders above most modern sporting rifle for durability there isnt even a comparison. These guns are brute tough. My vote put it back togeather and use it, it dont need pampering. My user guns have many dents and dings from years of use and I am papa proud of every inperfection. My guns have been there, done that, and has the scars to prove it. This guns deserves no less.

9. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Darin, DO NOT PAINT THE WOOD! Damn, there is some nice grain there - sand it and give it a hand-rubbed oil finish.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Sanding will destroy the checkering......

11. CA357

Strip the wood, don't sand it. If you're not comfortable doing it, send it up here to me and I'll strip and refinish it with Tru-Oil for you. You just pay the shipping.

12. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Oh I don't have to worry about that, the checkering is shot...lol. the left palm swell has big chunks taken out of it. I am considering ordering the tools to try my hand at checkering.The reason I posted this and the scope thread was to see if there was something I could order for this as well. I hate paying shipping for two orders.

13. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

That's the nicest offer someone has ever made for me here...thanks. you are a great man Don.

14. CA357

No sweat, you're welcome.

15. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I gave some serious consideration to sending my stock to CA357, but then I thought the stock is already shot, how bad can I mess it up. I started sanding and 3 hrs later I am done with step one.

Wow, I am glad I did this. I discovered some great wood under all that bull spit and horse manure that was used to finish (read: coat) it before. I started with a 1/4 sheet sander (60 grit) and worked my way down to 180 grit by hand. Since the owner before me sanded most of the checkering out and when he screwed it up decided to use it to build a fence:eek: I went ahead and sanded the checkering the rest of the way out.

I am going to order some tools to re-checker the stock and look around to see if I want to give the stock a light oil coating or stain and clear it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. CA357

That's a nice looking stock Darin. Take a little Clorox on a rag and hit the dark spots where the deep marks are and see if they lighten up any.

17. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I will try that. I kept hitting those areas with sand paper but stopped before I wound up with a toothpick:D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  18. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Remington made some of these after the war, Model 30s. It is what it is, a sporterized Model 1917. I have two left that have been rebarreled to 25-06, and a 6MM Remington calibers and are tack driving shooters. These are heavy excellent rifles that were a lot of fun to put gunsmithing skills to use. Back in the sixties when these were built materials such as barrels, tooling, quality stocks, triggers, were reasonable and top notch. The 1917 Enfields were scarce with good barrels due to corrosive ammo at the time. However, I have seen some that when good, shot excellently. It appears the protective ears on yours have been milled or ground off, and the barrel shortened? and probably tapped and drilled for a scope. Magazine bulge taken out, a lot of expensive now, work done on it. If a great barrel on it, I would have it reblued, and refinish your wooden stock by sanding, and finish of your choice Thru Oil or Tung Oil. Paint? That sucks just hearing it. Spend some time and the end product will be something of pride, rather than a Bubba job!