Winchester 1886 top tang

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Lebeau0, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Lebeau0

Lebeau0 New Member

I have this old Winchester 1886 that, either through age and/or abuse the top tang has been broke off. Obviously, she needs some TLC. I'm confident that I can cut and form out a new tang piece, but I need someone who can TIG weld the piece on for me...then I can send it in to be re-heat treated to be sure everything's up to specs. Can anyone recommend a qualified gunsmith that does this kind of work?

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya me;) pics would be nice. As would where you are located.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Lebeau, Wendell Davidson at Davidson Gun on the south side of tracks in Rawlins used do gunsmithing. He has been around there for some 40 years that I know of. :)

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Don't have to be a gunsmith just a local welder could do it for you. No need to heat treat after the weld unless he's a very poor welder.

5. Lebeau0

Lebeau0 New Member

Thanks guys...Durangokid, as a matter a fact, I do know Wendell Davidson. I'll give him a call and discuss the project with him. I was given another individual's name and didn't think of Mr. Davidson right off. You can see from the pics that the tang broke off basically flush with the reciever. I taped the end of the reciever to give myself a visual reference.

Attached Files:

6. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

If Windell Davidson can not help I can give you the name of a good Smith in Evanston, Wyoming and one in SLC, Ut. :)