Winchester 1400 MKII

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bikerlbf406, Jul 27, 2013.

1. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

I just put a Winchester 1400 MKII 12 gauge on lay-a-way today. Total price out the door will be $322. It is in excellent condition. I know it's an older gun and I can't find any info out about it on Winchester's website. Does anyone know when they stopped producing these? Are they good guns? Is it worth the price I'm paying? It will be my first automatic shotgun, as the only other shotgun I've used is a 20 gauge pump action. Any thing I should be aware of with automatic shotguns?

2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Don't know when they quit making it but I got one in 1970. It was a reliable gas shotgun and had it for many years. I took many pheasant with this shotgun.

3. MehanoWin

MehanoWin New Member

The 1400 MK II was produced from 1968 to 1972. They were selling them till 1994.
    Yes, the gun is worthed buying, its very good shotgun.
    And it's Winchester. Its always good.

4. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

hate to rain on your party but be advised...the 1400 was the first mass produced gun in the new new haven plant. winchester was losing money and they had to retool the production line. in doing so, in 65 they stopped making all winchesters hand made. the 1400 was the first machine stamped gun made using an alloy receiver. it replaced the model 59 that was failing to sell due to cracked receivers. 1400 was of lower quality and was meant for the masses....that tended to shoot a gun once a year, if that. for those that shot it a lot, guns began to break and fail. carrier rails cracked, trigger groups would fail and ejectors and extractors would break. ive owned numeorus 1400's that had carrier rails crack. even had one shoot its forearm cap off and right behind it went the mag tube spring and plug! even though early guns had great wood and fit....the cheaper metal fatigues with age. 322 is a fair price. they need to be cleaned spit shine clean.
    one good thing i can say about them is they absorb recoil very well. the mk2 designation was the addition of the bolt release button on bottom.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  5. akers06

akers06 New Member

And let the Winchester haters start.....I love the Winchester man and you done just fine for that price....the only thing is just keep it clean they have been known to have a little bit of a cycling problem when they get really dirty

6. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Well the gun could probably use a descent cleaning, since I don't know the last time it was done, however I will do that before firing it for the first time, like I do with all my firearms, especially a used one in which I don't know the history behind it. The gun appears to have been shot very little and is in excellent condition, I would personally give it a 95% and I'm a strong believer in keeping my firearms clean. I've heard both good and bad about this gun, so I'm curious as to how it will play out for me, but I'm hoping a little TLC will go a long way in keeping it in good operational order.

7. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Remembering growing up in my Uncle's shop he sold quite a few,..ESP. When he would run short on Remington's...

8. bobski

to clear the air, my uncle helped build winchesters. i grew up in new haven too. matter of fact, winchesters are pretty close to all i shoot guys. so i dont hate them. im just sharing my personal experiences with you.

biker im sure is keen to have picked up my note on how if they arent shot a lot, (and i consider 250 rounds a day twice a week a lot) he should be ok.

the rule of thumb on winchesters is every model was an improvemnt over the last. model 40's were recalled. so they made the model 50. 50's loosened stocks and people complained about weight. so they made the 59. the 59 cracked receivers, so they made the 1400. the skeet trap people use to destroy them with heavy use...so winchester made the super xm1. and so on. so as you can see, the 1400 stayed around the most for casual shooters.
    not knowing the history of the gun, one just needs to be ready for anything after shooting it for any length of time. pamper it and let us know how it does.

akers06, are we cool now?

9. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea man lol.....I just figured it was gonna be another bash Winchester thread lol......like the 870 and 500 guys do to the 1300s lol but it's all in what you like.....but I agree with you that the gun prolly isn't going to lay a real long time shooting 2000 rounds a month.....there's not a whole lot of automatics that would

10. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

it may not be a gun you'd want to lay a lot of rounds through, however considering I don't hunt (disabled and can't stand or walk for long periods like I used to) and am limited on funds, so I may only get around to actually going to the range once every month or two and fire 50-100 rounds at a time, it isn't going to be seeing an excessive amount of rounds, and based on physical condition of the gun I would say it hasn't seen much use either, it should be a good gun for me. Being it has a longer barrel (don't recall off hand if its a 28 or 30") I probably wouldn't even use it for home defense. If I have time to get a long arm out and use it I'd go for my Mossberg 500 20 gauge with 18.5" barrel on it.

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

It'll do just fine for you buddy I hope you get years and years of use out of it

12. bobski

bingo.

now biker, youre gonna notice the 1400 tends to be a little forearm heavy. to balance it out, just hold the gun with your hand further away from you and youll be fine.
    my 1400's crushed targets until 'like i say,' the carriers self destructed. i cant count the number of people i taught first time shotgunning to on a 1400. they all did very well with them. enjoy it.

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

My favorite thing about the 1400 has to be the light recoil...I could shoot all day long and not be sore with that gun.....

14. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

Can't wait to get it and actually shoot it.....will be a few months though probably, as my parents are the one paying for it, and giving it to me as an early Christmas gift. Probably won't get it home until October or the the 1st of the month in November, and then it all depends whats the weather like after I get it home and cleaned up to when I'll actually get around to firing it. I'm gonna check with the local gun shop about 20 minutes from here who does their own gun smith work and that I do quite a bit of business with to see how much he'll want to go through the gun and give it a proper cleaning and replace any seals or anything that it might need before I take it out to shoot.

15. bobski

gas piston system on those things is borderline impossible! its the kind of design where you dont want to take it apart unless you know what youre doing. make sure you ask him to SHOW you how.
    or...google winchester 1400 disassembly and learn on utube.

16. bobski

hey..ask your parents if they want to bring you to the ftf shotgun shoot and hoot 19 oct!
    now that would be the right way to learn how to shoot that gun. im teaching for free. we got guys coming from all over usa! be my guest. youre family is invited.
    click my link in my signature line.

17. DrFootball

On top of what the Great Bobski Said: you might want to check if AGI has a DVD on it! Although I have not taken any of their courses, i'm enrolled @ Penn Foster studying to be a 'Smith & even they use AGI as a source for info on many Guns(at least my Online instructor does!) I have the ones on the 1911, Beretta & Taurus 92's, and a few rifles, plus the Remington 1100.

18. bikerlbf406

bikerlbf406 New Member

thanks guys, appreciate it. sounds like fun bobski, although probably won't make it as I don't see me or 'em having the extra cash for the needed ammo or the $50. Afterall both of us are on disability with limited income. So just have to play it out by ear and see. I was planning on getting a parts diagram and assembly book for it, but I'll see if I can sit in w/ the gun smith on the cleaning if I have him do it........Still got time though to figure it out.

19. DrFootball

Bobski. I have never shot shotguns except for practice and hunting when I was a Kid,..but maybe next year...and you can give me some tips on how to get a meet/shoot going here in Az for our Board locals...