Wilson vs Kimber

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by wyoprepper, Jun 20, 2012.

1. wyoprepper

wyoprepper New Member

What brand is better and are they worth their 1300 price tag?

Sorry I forgot how hight priced wilsons are. Anyways are they worth their high price overall.. anything over 800 for a pistol is expensive for me

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

If you can find a serviceable Wilson Combat 1911 for $1300, grab it now.
    Kimber is a standard production 1911 cut from similar cloth as Springfield Armory.
    Wilson Combat is a Semi-custom builder who is the standard by which others are judged.
    Bentley vs. Chevy.
    New Wilsons start well above $2K and can easily go above $5k (Super Grade.)
    New Kimbers start around $800 and climb into the teens.

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I like kimbers but for $1300 I would opt for the Wilson. Mainly the appeal of them, and kimbers 1 year warranty....

4. wyoprepper

wyoprepper New Member

My bad I had a brain fart on the price of the wilson.. I fixed my post..
    Anyways is 5 grand like u said really worth it for a pistol?

5. kytowboater

I don't own one, wish I could. I think it's crazy to ask that. Yet I'm sure they are great. I think 5 grand would bring a lot more to me than a 1911.

6. wyoprepper

wyoprepper New Member

Ya I could pay off my car with five grand.. that's just mind blowing it can go that expensive for a pistol

7. kytowboater

Yep. Its like anything to me though... If you have that money to spend on them, great, if not, there are cheaper alternatives.

8. wyoprepper

wyoprepper New Member

u have a point. Is wilson the best u can get?

9. kytowboater

I think le bear (spelling??) and nighthawk and Ed brown are the tops?? Not positive maybe someone who owns the top tier brands will shed some light.

10. Overkill0084

I inherited my Dad's early (1989) Super Grade. I can honestly say that it is a superior quality firearm. I also own a SA Trophy Match, a Colt and 2 Dan Wessons. The WC is simply a bit better in all areas. They are subtle. You have to put some rounds through it and settle in with it before you really appreciate the differences. Whether they are worth all that coin is an individual choice. Much like any other major purchase, it's all about priorities. I think they are worth it if you that kind of disposable income. But then my Dan Wessons are pretty great pistols as well. They are plenty excellent for those who don't have the budget for a $3K+. I've said in the past, that in the $1000ish to $1700ish range, Dan Wesson is the best gun going until you decide to step up to the Semi custom class (Baer, Brown, Nighthawk and Wilson.) I feel that still holds true.
    Of course, once you get north of $1000 for any pistol, they should all be pretty darned good.

Wilsons are "just" :rolleyes: semi customs. $5K is just good down payment when you talk about a true one-off custom build from a well known smith.

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Wilson Combat by far, i wouldnt pay $500 for a kimber

12. wyoprepper

wyoprepper New Member

U have a bad experience?

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ive had first hand experience with 4 different kimbers in the past 10 years. Every single one of them had constant FTFs. The last one that i shot was about 6 months ago and it would feed HPs just fine but would not feed fmj ammo for the life of it. Ive called kimber customer service twice for two of my friends and i got the same run around both times.with one kimber my friend had about 150rds through it when i called, and kimber CS told me that the gun wasnt broke in and that is to be expected. To me that isnt an acceptable reason and what i expect is,if i pay $1,000+ for a "supposed high end" gun,i expect it to function properly.

With the last kimber i shot,"the one that wouldnt feed fmj ammo", my friend let me keep it for a while to shoot it, it also had an out of tuned extractor, was constantly getting beaned in the head with brass. I called kimber CS again, i told them about the feeding issue with fmj and their answer for me was " the ammo thats being used probably wasnt good ammo" i told them that ive used a few different brands with the same results. Their response was "we're still pretty sure its the ammo". Then i told them about the extractor causing the empty brass to fling back in your face, their response was " that will fix itself once the gun is broke in"

Ive never heard the like of excuses in my life, they place the blame on everything else EXCEPT their gun. Now i certainly dont share the same experience with everyone,some people have a gun that hasnt had a single problem and are happy with them.

But due to MY experience, i wont own one.

14. Overkill0084

A few people have been less than thrilled with their Kimbers or the Kimber Customer Support Dept. To be fair, the people I know with Kimbers are happy with them. I think it can be safely argued (without starting a war that is) that there are any number of other good choices in the price range Kimber is competing in. My primary issues are the "500 round break-in" & the shockingly short 1 year warranty.
    When you have some free time, go ahead and do a search and you will find that Kimber threads can get heated.

15. wyoprepper

wyoprepper New Member

Dam that sucks because for my birthday my parents were going to pay half for a kimber.. thats a shame the are beutiful looking guns.ill keep shopping I guess

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you look hard enough, you will find bad experiences with just about every brand of 1911. I don't own a Kimber but know that they produce thousands of guns a year. If they were inferior products, I would assume the company would have gone belly-up by now. You have a 1-year warranty on your Kimber if something did go wrong by chance. And if it happens after the warranty is up, any competent gunsmith could take care of anything else. 1911s are a basic for any qualified gunsmith. If you like Kimber, then I wouldn't let a few negative comments completely scare you off.

On the opposite side of the coin, I have a Ruger SR9c that I bought brand new. Go on a forum and ask about Ruger reliability and you'll be flooded with positive comments. Yet the one I bought had some serious problems right out of the box and had to be sent back for work immediately. It's really a gamble no matter what brand you buy.

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are "deals" out there.
    My wife found a used Ed Brown in the newspaper. $1800 later I was owning a Kobra carry with holsters, mag carriers, mags, and ammo.

Considering that the handgun alone is advertised as $2545 new, I think it was a good deal.
    Comparing the Kobra to my CZ-Dan Wesson C-BOB, they look like they are from the same family, but there is a big difference in the assembly and tolerances.
    Neither firearm is a "slacker", but there are differences.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The point is a bit slighted.

$5,000 should not buy you a pistol of any make, it should buy you at least two!

I have shot everything on the market. Baer is a great pistol, but Les Baer hasn't touched a "for civilian" gun in years.

Same thing goes for Dave Lauck from DNLSports.

Sure they make a hands down home run pistol for a famous Pro 2A actor or former president or former general. But you are not buying one of those pistols, because they would cost $25,000 to start and be a bidding war of collectors who never intended to shoot them. :roll eyes:

Wilson Combat is a hell of a good pistol. Quality parts, excellent gun smithing and great name recognition.

Nighthawk Custom is better, in my opinion, on every front because of the passion and love the original 11 owners shared when they LEFT companies like Kimber/Colt/Springfield and yes, Wilson Combat, to FORM Nighthawk Custom in the first place.

On the other hand, I took a second hand Taurus ($400), replaced a couple of parts, tuned the trigger, coated it with NP3 and Roguard - creating a pistol that will run with anything out there. Just ask Benning. ;)

If asked, I could do it again. :D

JD

19. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

This is my wilson. Its the cqb compact. I paid just over 3k out the door. I have owned kimbers in the past and they have always let me down. I am hard on my guns and shoot them often. I wanted a 1911 that i knew if i needed it, it would function flawlessly. I have been involved in a shooting with this wilson and it did the job as expected. Best $3k i ever spent.

Attached Files:

20. jismail

jismail Member

Kimber's have always been a bit polarizing - some love them, some hate them.

I have a Series 1 Kimber and for me, it is the most accurate pistol I own and has never given me any issues I and shoot quite a bit. Perhaps the newer ones have some issues, but as posted earlier, in a competitive market, if they were truly junk, then they wouldn't keep selling them for what they do.

[​IMG]