Wilson SC-25 guide rod Help

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by xd45, Feb 1, 2014.

1. xd45

xd45 New Member

I bought a Wilson guide rod (SC-25) for my 1911 Springfield armory champion. I have not had any luck installing it. It is a bear to try and push the spring in the reverse plug. The way I understand it is you push the spring and plunger in the reverse plug, then insert the second part of the guide rod in the plug and tighten it down with the allen wrench. Hope this sounds right.
    I have not been able to push the spring in and get the plunger behind the link.
    Has anyone else used this set up? Or is there an easier guide rod on the market that I should of bought for this gun?
    Thanks, Steve

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

3. DP03

DP03 New Member

While Jon's opinion is shared by many, there are and have been spring binding/pinchings in full size 1911's. The FSGR makes this impossible. IMO, I like taking any margin of error out of the equation. That being said, I understand that the FSGR's make field stripping more complicated, if you have a need for that.

My Springfield has a bushing. I push the spring, by the plug, and then rotate the bushing. It's only then you have to do the last step with inserting the 2nd piece of the GR and tighten with the allen key.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  4. xd45

xd45 New Member