Wilson combat opinions?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by nickel1911, Mar 9, 2012.

1. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I'Ve been looking at the Wilson combat cqb lightweight light rail. Looking for any opinions or feedback on this beautiful work of art. Anyone out there lucky enough to own this gun considering the steep price tag?

2. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Don't own one but have shot several Wilsons and they are great guns!! For the money I think Les Baer is a better value. Ed Brown is another good choice. Browns aren't known for their finish as the others but man what shooters. If you can afford a Wilson I say go for it you won't be disappointed.

3. Thomas Carey

Thomas Carey New Member

In my view Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, you just can't go wrong. =)

4. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Well said sir!!

5. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I've definitely considered les baers and Ed browns also. I know any one of those would be an excellent choice. But I always seem to find my way back to that Wilson CQB. It's just a dream right now but hopefully it'll be a reality one day :) thanks for the feedback guys!

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus New Member

Wilson is the Caddy to Les Baur's Lincoln. Ed Brown is the Chevrolet. They are all op flight, but Wilson is my favorite of the bunch.

7. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Wish I had the chance to spend some time with all three at the range! My attraction to the Wilson combat is cosmetic only. And also what I've read about them. Kinda shallow... I know :)

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

nothing shallow about it. Wilson Combat pistols are top notch and very nicely finished. a lot of th cosmetic appeal comes from the fact they are hand built and attention to detail which makes them very well fitted and that just makes them look nicer. Les Baer pistols are nice too, as are the Ed Brown's, but IMO, the Wilson's are the cream of the crop. my LGS carries a few of them and they ain't cheap! i would jump at the chance to own one myself, but maybe sometime in the future.

9. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I have a Wilson cqb compact. I can honestly say this is THE best hand gun I have ever owned. I beat this thing to a pulp and it keeps comming back for more. This is my ccw gun and I trust it not only with my life but my families also.

Attached Files:

10. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Hey Alpha! Did you take that picture standing on your head?

11. h8dirt

h8dirt New Member

I have a Combat Classic in 45 ACP. It's magnificent -- I don't know how else to describe it.

12. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Haha, mid backflip. idk why it turned out upside down.

13. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I have a Wilson Colt. Great gun. That said, far more 1911 Colts right out of the box have seen more combat then all the cutom jobs. Old John M. Browning did a Damn good job from the git go.:D

14. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

What about nighthawk custom?

15. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Nighthawk custom is just as good as Wilson. The old workers from Wilson went to work for nighthawk. Apples to apples.

16. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Yes, Nighthawk should be added/discussed here. That company was orginally started with a couple of Bill Wilson's gunsmiths.

To me - Wilson, Baer, Brown & Nighthawk should all be discussed on equal footing as the premier semi-custom manufacturers. You can get Wilson to add more custom features than Brown will on a build gun and if someone personally prefers one over the others that is great but the whole comparison analogies to cars made earlier is stretching it a bit, I'd say.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

+1
    These guys are in business because the build a heck of a product. If they didn't, they would be unknown footnotes on a list of failed gun manufacturers. Once you start playing in this price range, it boils down to personal taste.
    If things haven't changed too much in recent months, Baer was the "value leader" of the group with prices that start around $1800 for the entry level models. Worth noting, once you get noticeably north of $3000, you get to the point when a "True Custom" is worth looking into. If nothing else, the waiting period might be shorter;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  18. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

@ alpha1victor. Thanks for posting the pics. That's a beauty you got there. Is the frame an od green? Bull barrel?

19. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I've definitely heard of nighthawk custom mentioned as one of the top tier 1911s but I've never really given them the attention they obviously deserve. Time for me to do some research on them. I ran across their website a couple years ago and seen the way they looked while field stripped, and never looked back. Lol. They were too unorthodox for me. I let my ignorance get the better of me. Thanks for mentioning them. I'll be giving them another look. I've never seen one in person though..

20. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Excellent point on approaching the "true custom" range