Wilson arms 16" barrel

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by doctherock, Mar 6, 2011.

1. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I need input on the Wislon Arms 16 inch barrel for the ar15 platform. It is not a chromed barrel. It will be in the RAR M413 I will possibly be purchasing. Any thoughts on this? I usually hear about the chrome lined barrel.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Doc, Wilson builds AR pipes for quite a few "assemblers" and it's a good piece.

As far as the no-chrome lining, I don't see it as a big deal or a deal breaker.

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks Cane. I appreciate that from you as I find your knowledge base to be a great asset.

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Warranty

I guess another question I should have posted is, is a one year unconditional guarantee good when it comes to AR's?

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

There are a few out there that do limited lifetime.

I prefer chrome lining for the extended life most of all.

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

For an extra $50 I can get a chromed barrel.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Personally its worth the extra $50. I will admit Ive never had a non chrome lined barrel that wasn't a SS barrel. The story is non chrome lined barrels are more accurate but may not last as long. Ive also heard things pertaining to functional issues. Who knows, I don't.

8. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Unless you are building a machinegun and plan on lots of full auto fire, chrome lined is pure BS !

There is NO WAY to get a uniform and consistant chrome lining inside a barrel...the people doing the chrome admit that !

The Wilson barrels are excellent and very accurate...more so than any chrome lines barrel !

I have built hundreds of them and know this to be a fact !

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks Dg. I'm getting a hell of a deal from a vendor on here called RAR guns.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My ArmaLite has a 16" Wilson but it is chrome lined. No problems at all.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

$50 for chrome, what is it? A '57 Chevy bumper??

You are never going to reach the round count or the rapid fire that requires the chrome.

Spend the cash on ammo!

12. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Thanks Cane for the insight. I just wanted a little clarification as to why I would or would not need it and I do believe I have that knowledge now. I will be buying the RAR M413 just as soon as the mini-14 sells.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Last sentence bold and italics on purpose. Word!

I haven't built hundreds of AR's. I have probably worked on close to 80-100 in my time "learning the platform". I have "inspected" eight that have taken "the shot", and I have done a ton of parts changes by request, but Dgunsmith is the man in this department.

However I agree with 100% of what he said. There is no known way to get 100% even chrome lining in a barrel. Unless you are shooting thousands upon thousands of full auto rounds and you need 50,000 rounds a year barrel life, there is NO REASON to go for chrome lining.

JD

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I shall save the $50 and get me some Commenga easy mags.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

My Ninja!! :D

You have been reading and taking it all in. :p

The Cammenga's are slick. I showed them to a couple of guys' at work (tinfoil hat types who are knuckle dragging Alpha males) and they both ordered up 8 or 10 each. They are effing impressive and when you get one in your hands, can feel the construction, it's that much more impressive.

I'll be looking for your impression Dan. ;)

JD

16. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I can hardly contain myself. I'm like a kid waiting for xmas. I may have the mini sold to someone on the forum and then I will order the M413. There are just so many more options out there for this platform. That and I was an expert marksman on this platform.