Will the mod.19 break with .357mag.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by HKSlinger, Jan 26, 2011.

1. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

I know I knew the answer to this at one time,but have forgotten. What was the deal with using full power .357 Mag. loads in the 19? Would it tweak the timing,or are we talking actual frame cracking? Would it take many,many rounds,depending on how hot, before you would notice something? I understand the L frame took care of this,but never bothered to find out why.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The light (125gr or less) hot loads could cause damage to the forcing cone and flame cutting of the top strap. You can shoot all the 158s you want...

3. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I've put many thousands of rounds of .357 Magnum through several Model 19s (Combat Magnums) without harm. Two problems I've heard arise from the very light bullet loads, as mentioned, and from the use of very heavy bullet loads used in metallic silhouette shooting.

A couple of men I knew told me of internal parts breakage (especially the trigger pivot pin) when using a steady diet of magnum loads using 173-180 gr. bullets. As to my own .357s, I used 158 gr. +P .38 special loads and 140-158 gr JHP .357 Magnum rounds without any porblems.

Bob Wright

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A steady diet of hard recoiling Magnum ammo through a K-frame Smith (19 or 66) will cause a condition called "end shake cylinder". The crane gets peened shorter and allows the cylinder to move fore and aft to an excess. Eventually you may get light indent misfires because the cylinder sits so far forward that the hammer nose (firing pin) cannot hit the primer with sufficient force.

To correct this situation you can either re-stretch the crane or install an "end shake bushing" to take up the slack. These are available in .002 and .004 thicknesses. I have installed many dozen of these in duty guns over the years. Once corrected in this manner, it rarely crops up again. I have only installed .004 bushings in a couple of guns that had been particualrly abused.

The other issue is that the top of the barrel in the forcing cone area sits very close to the top strap of the frame. You can get some flame cutting of the top strap with heavy use especially with the lighter bullet loads (110 or 125 gr). The L-frame and N-frame do not have near the problem with this because there is more space between the tope strap and the barrel.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I've got a 19-3 Combat Magnum coming tomorrow.

Got a great deal and it will be a shooter.

This will be my first 357 Mag. I feel like a kid again/still!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Wait a minute.....Cane, you don't have a 357? And here I thought you were a gun nut. I've got 2 with eyes open for 2 more then the right deal comes along.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm also amazed that you didn't own a .357 already...

8. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Yeah Cane... Jeez, all gun-nuts have at least one .357 Magnum. Well at least you've upgraded your status now that you have a Model 19. Just don't let that happen again...

9. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Cane, nice looking Mod.19, all pinned and recessed to boot. If you decide you just can't live with it, throw it my way and I'll give it a home.

Jim........:D:D

10. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

You are going to love shooting that one, it will drive tacks especially with the six in barrell. I have a 19-5 4 in, that was my first duty weapon back in the early 70s (man I'm old). Target loads through a model 19 is like shootin a 22. Also have a Model 65 3in round butt. Great carry gun and shoots as good as the 19. Have Fun.

Pops

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's here.

Stop raggin' on me, I'm an official 357 Mag owner now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't remember the K frames being this small! I must just be use to my 29. This puppy rattles around in the big dog's Bianchi 5BHL.

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Simply beautiful!

Ya done good Cane...

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

It's about time, cane. So where's the range report?

14. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Hey Cane,

It’s a Smith… it’s not a Colt??????????? What? Could not find a Python?

Scubie :cool:

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's a damn fine Smith you got there Cane. I'm a major K-Frame fan. The 19 and 66 are my two favorite revolvers period. While not being the first master of the art of producing the revolver, S&W is (and was) truly the greatest master of fine revolvers.

A Python would be nice, but you could almost put 2 of those beautiful Smiths in the safe for the cost of a Python. Not even a contest in my eyes.

Great gun, here's mine, a 19-3 and a 66-1, also a K-framed masterpiece. :)

Attached Files: