will that be metal or plastic sir?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by rugermatt, Jul 30, 2010.

1. i prefer metal frames

75.0%
  2. i prefer polymer frames

25.0%
  1. rugermatt

rugermatt New Member

i am not a polymer frame fan, actually i have traded all of the polymer frame guns i own for metal frames at one time or another. i am now thinking about buying another to carry. i like big heavy guns, with hammers and manual safetys.my favorite being the beretta 92 and ruger p90 other than a 1911 style. i like the recoil and balance of these pistols, and the way they fit me. i also like to take the fist shot single action. just wanted to know what everyone preferred and why. also which ones were your favs so i can get some ideas for my next semi-auto. i know we all like 1911's so lets save them for another thread.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I've owned all of these at one time or another. In descending order of preference:

Browning Hi Power

Springfield EMP 9mm (yeah, I know)

CZ 75B

Beretta Cougar 8045

Sig P226 9mm

CZ 2075 RAMI

Bersa Thunder 380

CZ 82

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I like Glocks and 1911's. But have others in both categories, too.

But plastic is nice when it is 125 degrees in the desert, or -10 degrees in the mountains.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I prefer metal, but feel that some sort of plastic does have it's place. Just not in my hands as the only firearm I have to rely on.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Kimber 1911 .45acp feels real good.

CZ75b 9mm is a sweet 9mm too.

I also like rugers p series, but don't own one at the moment.

Nothing wrong with XD's as a polymer pistol though imo.

6. hemiram

hemiram New Member

Rugermatt- We seem to have pretty similar likes and dislikes. I prefer a heavy, hammered pistol, and have never had a problem carrying a full sized steel revolver or semiauto all day. I've owned one poly gun, the first one, an HK VP-70 about 30 years ago. I didn't keep it very long. I don't have any polymer handguns on my want list.

Currently owned:

Astra A-75 9mm. All steel, great little gun.
    Astra A-100 9mm. Another nice gun that gets a lot of bad comments from the unknowing..
    Beretta 84BB .380.
    Beretta 92FS 9mm. My only aluminum framed 9mm.
    Tanfoglio compact 9mm. "Mossad" marked.
    S&W 5906. awesome gun.
    S&W 4586 45. One of the Bud's PD trade ins.
    Dan Wesson 715 SS .357
    Dan Wesson 44 .44 magnum "Barney colored"

Wanted:

Another Dan Wesson .357
    Baby Eagle/Jericho fullsized 9mm.
    EAA Witness .45 fullsized.
    CZ P01
    CZ SP01.
    S&W 4506.
    Sig 522 plinker rifle.
    Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm or Ruger PC9 police carbine.

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

To own, to shoot, to admire, and to keep on the night stand? Metal, no question about it.

To take into the field? I'm not sure of my own preference, but this is where polymer makes up ground. There's something to be said for the light weight, low maintainence design of Glocks and XDs.

Since I don't yet carry, I'll lean toward my CZ 75b for now. But I do see the utilitarian value of a polymer pistol.

8. JSDinTexas

JSDinTexas New Member

no fuss, no muss, no rust - polymer. Yeah, I know, metal does have its place.

9. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I prefer metal.

Although I have owned a S&W Sigma, and I currently own a Keltec P32.

The only other plastic gun on my wish list is an XD.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Browning High Power hands down!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I like guns of all flavors, just like I like women.

12. WDB

WDB New Member

I'm with Joe on this one, I like them both. I prefer each for different uses, hard not to like a metal frame pistol as it's what most of us are use to then again polly frames cut the weight (I carry enough of that already). Most of my pistols are steel frame but I carry a polly frame most of the time. S&W M&P 45 is my prefered carry pistol, it's not a 1911 but IMHO does a fine job of keeping me and mine safe in the world we live in.

Where does aloy frames fit in? still wanting a S&W airweight 38 snub nose.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I decided to get rid of all my Tupperware guns a while back. And somehow I still ended up with a Browning Pro-40. I keep saying I"m going to trade it off but it's not got gone yet. The FNP is for the most part the same pistol and they are around 200+ cheaper. Just strikes me odd is all.

Anyway..I much prefer a metal weapon over poly framed ones. But I look at firearms as more than tools and see many (especially older) firearms as works of functional art. I just don't get that vibe from poly framed weapons. Most of them I've use worked fine. I just didn't feel the love for them they way I do a steel framed 1911, Sig Sauer, to the oh so lovely BHP

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

There is no substitute for steel when it comes to a pistol whipping. :cool:

15. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I like the xd40 but I also like the metal frame as well.

16. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Each has it's uses. Too bad there isn't an "either / or" choice. I would pick that one. If you want super accuracy, like for competition, I would go with steel. For basic utility, like Duty Carry, I would go with poly. They take the elements better.

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The biggest reason I like the Browning Pro/FNP is while it is a poly frame it has a hammer. It's got the safety adn de-cock too for those that really need those features.

Glocks are supposed to have a lower bore axis to reduce felt recoil. THe striker is supposed ot be what allows that but truth be told I couldn't see much of any difference between a 9mm Glock and a 9mm Sig. So I'm not all that sure that it's enough of a plus for me personally. Glock and the XD both are fine weapons. They will work when called upon. I just don't feel the love with either of them. And for me carring a government frame 1911 all day is not uncomfortable. A good holster and a good belt and I get to where I hardly notice it.

18. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I picked metal because as of right now, that's what I own. However, the last time I was at the range, I had the opportunity to dump a 13 round clip down range from a S&W XD40. I have to say, it was a nice feeling pistol. It didn't have as much recoil as I was expecting and it was fairly accurate for me too. Of course, I still carry my 1911 every day, being as Kentucky is an open carry state.

tldr; I like metal but have nothing against polymer.

19. rugermatt

rugermatt New Member

polymer does have it's place, no doubt about it, i myself am looking for a semi-auto to carry. this gun will be polymer framed, my s&w model 340 works fine, i just want another tool for when my dress alows for something larger. thanks for everyone's input on this, i can see that most people agree that metal is the favorite, just not always as practicle. i have yet to find a polymer pistol that i am totally happy with. i had a bad experience with the glock 36, i think this is where i got turned away from them.

20. divinginn

divinginn New Member

I just cannot warm up to the plastic guns,I was all set to purchase one but just couldn't do it.