Will somebody explain this to me?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by txpossum, Sep 29, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I used to think I had it figured out. A knife was for cutting; a hatchet was for chopping wood; and a machete was for clearing brush or hacking through a jungle.

Then people started talking about how they could use their knife to baton through a pine tree, or asking what machete was the best for chopping wood. Somehow the hatchet fell out of favor, but was replaced by it's cousin, the tomahawk.

Now, when camping, I always have a hatchet along. Chop with one side, hammer with the other. Handy tool. Occasionally I have had a use for a machete, and sometimes I had one along, and sometimes I didn't.

But I have never said, "Gosh, if I only had my tomahawk this [insert brushcraft chore here] would be a lot easier".

Now, 'hawks can be fun, but they are, in my opinion and experience, not nearly as good as chopping wood as a hatchet. I guess you can throw a 'hawk if you practice a lot, but it's not a skill that the need has ever come up when I was camping. To my way of thinking it's more of a weapon than a tool, but if any toothy, clawed outdoors critter thinks that I have any plans on making it a fair fight, they are sadly mistaken. I will just do an Indiana Jones sorta shrug, then shoot their ass.

So . . . tomahawk fans, enlighten me on the benefits of the 'hawk as opposed to a hatchet for surviving the great and the not so great outdoors.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I think the Kukri is the over all downfall of the hatchet. Often people think that since you can cut small pieces of wood with a Kukri, you can also cut it with ANY machete.

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

It always seemed to me that a machete should have a fairly thin, flexible, and lightweight blade, so one's arm wouldn't get tired of swinging them all day when clearing path through the jungle, or removing undergrowth or whatever. Swinging a blade substantial enough to chop through wood like an axe would get old pretty quickly.

But . . . what about the tomahawk?

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Us hi-class hillbillys call that a Thomas Hawk :p

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Oh ... Didn't you know? This is what the tomahawk is used for: http://m.youtube.com/watch? featur...=/watch?v=ecmdZlNcc2Q&feature=player_embedded Here's the thread about it. You might learn something:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/its-official-tacticool-has-gone-too-far-97730/

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Who carries a tomahawk? I chop with an axe.

7. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

8. txpossum

txpossum New Member

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

In the beginning of the video he holstered a gun. Why is he throwing a tomahawk? I would run to cover and ...bang, bang, bang, bang. I just don't get it. Not even a little bit.

I take a hatchet into the woods. I have used a machete to cut a trail. Can't think of anything that would have worked better.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, a tomahawk is like a multi-use tool.

i would prefer a hatchet or an axe myself.

machetes are for weeds and vines, not trees. but use one if that's all you have with you.

knives, axes, hatchets, machetes are tools. all tools usually have a specific purpose. when used for that specific purpose they usually perform as they are required to and do their intended job.

multi-purpose tools are usually designed to take the job of several different tools to decrease space needed to carry or store them. many times they do an adequate job for a short period of time.

11. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I'm not arguing, I'm asking: what makes a tomahawk "multi-use"?

12. Axxe55

to be quite honest, not really for sure! the shape of the head? the weight of it? the design?

could be if a person needed only one tool to cover the needs of several, that a tomahawk would suffise, in a survival type situation.

13. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Who uses an axe ? I use a chainsaw to cut up trees.

14. Axxe55

i do!:p hence, my username!:D

seriously, i use an axe to split wood i have cut with the chainsaw for my smoker.

15. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I use a splitting maul for my smoker

16. Axxe55

i like a double bit axe myself. most of the wood i split for my smoker is usually about 10" or less in diameter and less than 12" in length. so the axe works great for my purposes.

17. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Most of the people who buy things like tomahawks never use them, therefore they don't know that a good hatchet works better. That's my explanation.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

There were old iron bladed tomahawks that had a lighter profile blade and a hammer at the rear. These were lighter than a full hatchet and could be handier for carry by trappers, mountain men, etc. who were concerned about weight.

Some modern iterations of the tomahawk include the same weight saving profile for the hatchet side, and may have a hammer or surfaces designed for prying. So for "tactical use" the light weight and prying ability can make it useful for some breeching capability( not a first choice, I wouldn't think). Also the lighter weight allows it to be wielded more quickly as a weapon and swung for a longer period of time with less tiring. I have seen a model where the handle or central post terminated in the upper end becoming a small crow bar, with the blade having a cutting, hatchet head on one side, and a hammer on the other along with a nail puller hole below the hatchet .

Most if these seem like a combination of compromises, to give the user multiple tools in one that can be used in a pinch, but may not be the best for each of the jobs it is capable of. I have a full on axe, and a camp hatchet. Both are good for chopping wood. If I wanted a weapon, a tomahawk may be better. But I'm with you, I'd rather use a handgun or long gun.

19. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

He runs, he jumps, and every time the tomahawk leaves his hand there's an edit...And then a close shot of the tomahawk hitting the target. Apparently even the vendor can't find anybody who can actually throw one.

20. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You can use it to cut kindling wood, kill people or crack walnuts. I shave with mine. :cool: