Will Lee Rifle Dies Work on a 550B?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Fred_G, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

I just load for handguns, but found a Lee die set used in 300 Blackout. Plan on an AR build in this caliber in the future, thought I would get the dies if they work. Google is a bit unclear...

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

The Dillon tool head will accept other brands of dies.

I know lots of Dillon users prefer the Lee factory crimp die.

3. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Here's a discussion over on GlockTalk, from a couple years ago: click. Consensus in that discussion seems to be that yes the Lee dies will work in a 550B press.

Fred_G likes this.
  4. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Thanks! I bought a lightly used 300 blackout Lee die set. Don't have the gun yet, but with all the crazy, why not get the reloading stuff. AR build in the future...

Rifling82 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

They will work.

But you may need to put the die lock ring under the tool head rather than on top.

Fred_G likes this.
  6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard of that work around.

OldManMontgomery likes this.
  7. OldManMontgomery

OldManMontgomery Active Member

Almost all reloading presses and dies (U. S. Market) are built to use 7/8 x 14 thread. There are a minor number of exceptions, but they are usually identified as non-standard.
    So usually all makers of dies will fit into all maker's presses.

Some antique or obsolete presses use different sized threads on dies.

Fred_G likes this.
  8. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Active Member

Lee dies work very well on my 550 for 357 SIG. I do use a Dillon crimp die. All my preferences aside, Lee dies work very well period.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  9. noylj

noylj Member

I actually prefer some Lee dies and they all fit on my 1050 toolhead with ease.
    Crimp die? Any taper crimp die works as well as any other. Roll crimp dies I rate as:
    #1: Redding Profile Crimp die
    #2: Lee FCD with carbide ring removed
    #3: all the rest.

10. Mowgli Terry

I had bought an assortment of second hand loading gear from a LGS. Included was a set of new style lee dies in the four die set for 38/357. My Dillon sizer was nor working right-not decapping cases.

This is the first time I have any thing go wrong with Dillon dies-a favorite. I shoot mostly lead bullets. Cleaning the lube out of Dillon dies is a easy. I got several extra tool heads and the old Dillon dies will be reinstalled. I wanted to use the 1" Dillon lock rings.

I set up a tool head for these Lee die with the carbide crimp die. I got the set up instructions from Lee off the net. This was new experience so there was some fumbling around. Got the dies set.

I loaded twenty rounds of top end 357 Magnum rounds with 150 grain bullets and Accurate #9. The seating and crimp dies are really impressive. both seating and crimp dies are easily adjusted. Should I start to load another caliber it may well be with this new style Lee die. Dillon rules but these new Lee dies are top notch. We'll see how that play out when the time comes.

11. noylj

noylj Member

You know, I have no idea HOW so many people end up with bullet lube in their dies to the extent they describe. When I used a Lubrisizer or pan lube, the only lube was IN the grooves. For tumble lubes, I use so little that you can't see it on the bullet.
    Dillon seater and crimp dies float. So, if you get something in between the die body and the insert, it won't move to the same place. I prefer dies that are FIXED.

12. Mowgli Terry

My experience: I have been loading lead bullets with Dillon dies for many years. I stand by what I say based on literally thousands of .38, .44 and 45 caliber projectiles. One has to take the Dillon dies apart to clean the 50/50 lube out. My lube-sizers are Lyman's and a Star. I have two 550's set up. This is loading room on Sunday clean up day.

Been there done this: This cleaning is also necessary for Lyman and Hornady dies in my experience. I am interested in how these new pre-owned Lee dies perform.That Dillon floating business is trivial in the extreme in my experience.
    20201025_113841.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  13. noylj

noylj Member

But WHY do you have so much bullet lube getting into the dies? 50/50 Lube should only be in the lube grooves.

14. Mowgli Terry

For those of who do cast bullets the softer lube will collect in bullet seating and crimping dies. The lube collects inside the die. There are close fits. Dillon dies can be easily taken down and cleaned.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.
  15. noylj

noylj Member

Again, I loaded with 50/50 for several decades and NEVER had to clean out a die. I cast my own bullets for about 40 years and never had an issue. I did go to pan lubing and then tumble lubing after about 25 years or so.
    Hated the Lubrisizer and hated bevel base bullets.

16. Mowgli Terry

Right!