Will guns go off on Store Detectors?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by sausn2002, Sep 8, 2009.

1. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

This may be a stupid question, but bare with me:

You know those store detectors in stores like Target and Best Buy? The one's by the entrance that detect if you stole something? Do these detectors detect guns by any chance? I'm thinking no because it probably isn't a metal detector. I want to be sure, so somebody please clear this up for me.
    :eek:

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I believe that those detect the magentic strips that are put on packages, which is why they run your package over that lighted *BEEP* strip before you leave the store.

I have CCW in plenty of stores with anti-theft devices and never had a problem.

JD

3. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

Okay, I was just making sure, because you never know. I haven't had CCW a whole lot in the past yet, and I didn't want to make a scene by accident, even though I have the inherent right to carry my weapon around with a permit (I live in Virginia). I thought about the magnetic stuff put in packages too.

Thanks, Dillinger.

4. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

Dill is correct they only detect the strips in certian packaged items, they are not metal detectors.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The store security checks are radio frequency detectors not metal detectors.

Most are Radio Frequency (RF) security labels tuned to 8.2 MHz or 9.5 Mhz and Acusto Magnetic security labels tuned to 58 KHz.

Oh yea, your gun will go off if you pull the trigger while in the security check. [​IMG]

Unless you're carring a metal storm firearm you'll be fine!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

They go off when I walk through with my pager. I have yet to have a store employee ask me to stop.

7. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

Thanks for the insiders, guys. Not to mean to be off subject, but what is a metal storm firearm?

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Seriously now, who still carries a "pager" ??? :eek:

Something that doesn't exist in the real world and is a neat trick, but expense rules out seeing it in the local gun shop in the near future....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqW5bG2M3x4]YouTube - METAL STORM-worlds most powerful hand gun[/ame]

JD

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

No, but seriously, or not. Will my kevlar set off the detectors? What if I have my IPOD under the vest? Can I get thru the security aisles if I have both my IPOD and my outdated pager? What if my pager is set within the parameters of the MHz that the magnetic receivers are meant to detect? Why are there theft devices inside a $12 pair of batting gloves?

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Skull- your kevlar won't affect the security screener, nor will your outdated pager. However, the radio frequency scanners DO affect my replacement knee, causing involuntary movement.

You oughta see what happens when I press the garage door opener......:rolleyes:

12. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I've never had a problem. I have a ccw and carry my compact 1911 almost everywhere and never set off alarms. However, don't try carrying one into the courthouse.

13. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Mri

This is no joke, don't go near a MRI machine while carrying, unless your
    piece is all non-steel.

14. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

Even if they did have metal detectors, I don't think you can get in trouble for it unless they have a sign prohibiting people from carrying concealed in those places.

15. docmagnum357

docmagnum357 New Member

I set one offf at a new super wal mart by carrying my $5, cuffs, two extra magazines, my wifes model 38 smith, and two speed strips, and a radio. And cerll phone. First two times, no one said boo. third day, I just told them i was packing, and showed the lady that marks your ticket. Probably not a good idea, but she said it did that a lot, she was sorry, they were still adjusting the thing.

As far as I know, the previous posters were right, those things work on radio frequency. How could this be?After the store was open a month, no more problems.Did my gun take a magnetic or radio frequency "charge'? Cell phone the culprit? The lady at the door seemed to indicate it was a common problem, and "they were working on it". beats me, and i am a ccw instructor.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would set everyone of them things off. Why My wallet had an RFID in it that had not been deactivated. It was so funny when I come walking IN to the store and set the alarms off. Finely a nice hottie at Petsmart wanded my azz and it doesn't do it anymore.