Will any wooden handguard fit a newer Mini 14?

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by sputnik1988, Feb 12, 2011.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Just saw a BEAUTIFUL mini 14 at a shop with a wooden handguard, gun looks new, not sure though. Got me thinking, if I bought one could I ditch the synthetic guard for a much less hideous wooden one? Thanks.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Just an FYI, the wooden handguard looks great, but it holds heat which affects accuracy.

3. DocWard

DocWard New Member

Kind of assumed that. I started to consider one, then remembered there is a reason for the vent holes...

4. KMO

KMO New Member

I love the "much less hideous" line. Remember, if your Mini has the newer tapered (aka flanged) barrel, the riveted barrel clip on the underside of the handguard will not be a good fit unless you spread it open further to match the greater barrel diameter. Otherwise, the wood handguards will fit fine. As for the heat, I believe I'm dissipating much of that my means of my barrel stabilizer, so I opted for the more aesthetically pleasing (aka less hideous) wood handguard. I like it...;)

5. DocWard

DocWard New Member

I have to agree, aesthetically, it is head and shoulders above the stock handguard.

6. jismail

jismail Member

yes, the wood guards fit the newer Mini-14

I have a series 581 Mini-14 and I have replaced the vented plastic guard with a hand guard I purchased on E-bay from an early Mini-14. If fits perfectly and I think it is a much nicer look for the rifle if you like the more traditional wood stock over the more trendy 'tactical' look. I had to adjust the stain on it to match better but I think it was worth the effort.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. KMO

KMO New Member

Hey...That Mini came out real nice with the wood handguard. I've always considered myself a traditionalist, opting for wood above the modern black "polymer" stocks. I say that, and now, through trades, sales, etc., I find myself with more black plastic than wood in my safe. Just kinda crept up on me I guess...:confused: