Will an AR-15 ruin my Nikon scope deisgned for .22lr?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by 180baseball, Jul 30, 2013.

1. 180baseball

180baseball New Member

I just wanna know if I can get away with this until I can finance for a nice ar15 scope. I know the .22lr has basically no recoil, but the AR-15 doesn't have much either so do you think it would break the scope or not?

Thanks so much

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

there is quite a bit more sharp recoil with the bcg moving back and forth.

i ould be concerned over it. while it doesnt feel much to you the rifle is getting jarred pretty good

3. CGS

CGS New Member

If you accept the fact that you'll be throwing the scope away, go for it. Most likely the 223 will destroy a 22 LR scope. Not right away but certainly I wouldn't trust my life to it, or go hunting with it, or even go to a training class with a 22lr scope on a 223. About the only thing I would do with a 22 lr scope on an AR15 is a plinker trip to the range, and I'd bring a back up firearm or scope just in case so my day isn't ruined. Day 1? Day 2? Day 15? It'll eventually break.

4. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I would have to say NO. Scopes from a reputiable Company will be built with same precision and parts used. Scope Companies honestly won't know if Scope will be mounted on a 300 Savage or an old Stevens 22Short. What will happen is the Scope won't give you the precision you want, due to it being parallaxed at 50yds, and trying to shoot at 150yds. Also if has BDC Reticle, it won't match.

5. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

+1 ^^

The reticle for a .22 scope isn't set up for a .223 bullet. You're accuracy will be way off.

6. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Internet gossip, not true. For the same reason you do not use a rifle scope on a air rifle, they slam the piston when fired and will jar the scope.

22 LR semi-autos are blow back rifles, they slam the bolt back sharper than a recoil on a center fire rifle, unless your shooting 7mm Mag or 300 Win Mag. So your 22 LR scopes are made as tough as the center fire scopes if not tougher. If you have questions about the scope call customer service at Nikon and ask, that way you will know for sure.

Jim

7. CGS

CGS New Member

A very many amount of scopes are specifically engineered and marketed for rimfire.

8. CGS

CGS New Member

A 22 LR bolt action is blow back?

9. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Scopes are manufactured more now than ever before for specific calibers and families of firearms (rifle/shotgun/pistol). Part of that is parallax, part is BDC, and part of that is recoil. The scope company can also save money by using only the quality of parts necessary to meet the standard requirement. Therefore, not only will the scope probably not preform in a satisfactory manner at any distance, but the recoil will most likely shake loose the screws in the scope and cause it to fall apart. Not immediately, but over time it will come apart.

If you like your rimfire scope, keep it for your rimfires and use iron sights on your AR until the stronger scope arrives. :)

10. bigjim

bigjim New Member

No, you need to READ the posts, 22 LR SEMI-AUTO's ARE ALL BLOW BACKS. (they are NOT gas operated or breach locked)

Jim

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  11. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I am the type once I have a scope set with a specific rifle, either .22LR, 5.56 or whatever else the caliber is, that scope stays with that rifle.

I have learned my lesson moving a tactical Sightmark from flattop to Mossberg MVP Varmint rifle, is was an issue sighting in the scope. Even after using a bore sight, the scope was very picky and finally sighted in!

12. CGS

CGS New Member

Got it now. It was late and my brain officially turns off after 3pm.

13. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Yes, they're marketed for a specific Caliber, like 22, 17, AR, (BUT) they're marketed as such, because of the BDC. This is mostly because of how the "Dots/Hash Marks" are spaced on the Reticle, or a possible change of the Elevation Turret to correspond for that Caliber. Depending on Scope Maker. The Tubes, innards and Len's, Coatings, will be built/applied the same. However, on some Scopes a simple call to Company gets a Caliber/Bullet Chart to adjust for BDC.

Example. A Leupold Rifleman won't work on a 22LR very well, because of the Parallax setting of 150yds. It will work on 17HMR, 22Mag, or any Centerfire Caliber very well, be it Semi or Bolt Action, due to the Shooter knowing they will use these Calibers for the longer distance.
    Many Magnums taking exception, just because of their brutal recoils on the Action, and/or Shooter.

I wouldn't use a Rifleman, even if it says it's safe, on a Springer Pellet Rifle, due to it's abusive nature of how the Spring recoils twice with each shot.
    Many Scope Makers nowadays have upgraded their quality, for using their Quality Scopes on Springer's for this reason compared to complaints from years past.
    However, many a Hunter/Marksman has/can use a Pellet Rifle Scope on their Rimfire or Centerfire Rifles and have excellent results over many years, because of the Scope's ruggedness.

I own some Burris FullfieldII 3-9x40 Scopes. I got them as the combo-packs. One Scope is for Centerfire, the other Scope is marked "Rimfire". Both scopes look exactly same, with same BDC hashmarks. Only difference(s) is Rimfire marked Scope is Parallaxed at 50yds, hashmarks re-calibrated, and made in China. Would I use this Scope on a Marlin 44Magnum. Yelp. Had it sighted in at 50yds for a Brush Gun. Held up just fine under that little Thumper, until I sold Rifle, then I put Scope on a Ruger 10/22 I've owned since new from 1971.

14. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Not sure I've heard of a Nikon scope just for a 22 rifle. Is it a pellet fun scope? I would look on line for that same scope and see what it says.

15. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Go to their website, you can see them there.

16. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

If a scope is made specifically for a rimfire cartridge that is not saying it will fall to pieces if you mount it on a centerfire. What it means is the scope is made to be shot at 50 yards so Paralax is set to 50 yards. If it has a bullet drop reticle it will be made for 22lr cartridge. It will not be more or less accurate persay. But, the crosshairs will move on the target as you move your eye behind the scope.

A quality Nikon, Leupold or other quality scope manufacture scope will be just fine.

17. bman940

bman940 Member

Your 22 LR scope will be just fine on your AR if that's what you want to do. I wouldn't be concerned about any recoil damage at all.
    Rest assured Nikon also has a great warranty as well. Mount it up and shoot it! Post some pics when you can. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have,right?

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If the rim fire scopes are built the same as the center fire scopes, why the price difference?

19. bman940

bman940 Member

I think the prices are pretty consistant across the PROSTAFF line be it a Rimfire scope or Centerfire rifle scope. The Rimfire scopes have a different parallax setting and some of the 2-7's come with 2 Rapid Action Turret's depending on what you are shooting, standard or hyper-velocity 22lr ammo.
    I know there's a big PROSTAFF scope promotion going on right now. Unfortunately it doesn't include the Rimfire scopes but it does include all the others. I'm not in sales, I work freelance for an agency that does some work for Nikon, so when I see a chance to try and answer a question I do my best. If the promo will save you some $ then I am happy I was able to make you aware of it.
    Let me know if you need more info......

20. 180baseball

180baseball New Member

Thanks bman, I may take advantage of the promo and go get me a new scope :D