Will a 22 caliber suppressor work on a 5.45x39 and other questions.

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by sputnik1988, Jun 16, 2012.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Suppressor questions. 22 caliber on a 5.45x39

Let's say I wanted to buy only one suppressor and wanted it to work on a AR15 an AK74 a Ruger 22/45 and a 10/22. Is this possible or practical?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  2. sputnik1988

Bumping thread back to top.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Problem that you run into is that any suppressor is designed specifically for a round in a given application.

I have a .45 caliber Osprey suppressor for my 1911. Now if I could thread it onto my .22 cal 1911, it would still work, but not as well because there is more hole in the travel path than when a .45 caliber round goes through the same path.

Would it work? Yes. Would it be as effective as a .22 Suppressor on a .22 caliber pistol? No.

Next you have the number of baffles in a pistol suppressor versus the number of baffles in a rifle suppressor. If you look at the lengths of pistol vs. rifle suppressors, you will see that rifle suppressors are longer, because they require more baffles to help bleed off the gas pressure from the higher powered rifle rounds.

Would a pistol suppressor help reduce the sound of a rifle round? I believe it would probably help, but it would be FAR from effective.

Gemtech, I know for sure, has a platform that has multiple caliber conversions for one of their pistol suppressors. You change the adaptor to the battle depending on the caliber of the pistol you want to use, but I don't know if they also change the baffle sizes and counts.

In short, yes it could be done to use one suppressor for multiple calibers (provided the rounds were all smaller than the can was designed for) but it would not be as effective as the round it was designed to suppress.

JD

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

They claim this can be adapted to a number of calibers simply by swapping the "can" or oil filter.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiqFcIXTqs[/ame]

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Jpyle - I had never seen, or even heard of, that item before, but it has quickly become a top ten item on my SHTF preparation list.

Many thanks and a "JD Likes this post"

JD

6. Wilder

Wilder New Member

Most manufacturers do not advise you use a rifle can on a rimfire, and some will not warranty a high power rifle can if they find rimfire residues in it. The dirtier, lower pressure rimfires will leave a lot of lead and powder residue in the can. Which sometimes comes loose when shooting on a high power rifle causing baffle strikes and destroying your can. I would go with one can for high powers, I got a .308 can that goes on my .308 and 5.56 via QD flash hiders, and a dedicated rimfire can. It is not as effective on the 5.56 as a 5.56 can would be, but it makes it hearing safe. Which is the whole point. Most rimfire cans can be disassembled for cleaning, and they will need it, they are just too much fun too shoot. I don't have any experience with hand gun cans but I imagine it would be the same, don't use it on rimfires. I don't foresee any issues with say putting a .45 can on a .40 or 9mm, they just won't be as quiet, but should prevent that annoying ringing sound in your ears. If you plan on using a can on multiple hosts, do get one with a QD system, the direct thread on cans tend to wear out the threads if taken on and off frequently.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Happy to be of service and help contribute to the security of Casa de Dillinger

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Always looking to add to the arsenal. Speaking of which, I need to clear some room in the safe. :cool:

I think there may be a JD fire sale coming up. ;)

JD

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

[​IMG]

10. sputnik1988

Are the threads on rifles typically the same?

11. Wilder

Wilder New Member

The threads are pretty much industry standard these days, they change depending on bore diameter. A good gunsmith can thread a bbl for you if your unlucky enough to have a gun with an unusual thread size.

12. sputnik1988

Sounds good, thanks guys.

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Um.....NO!

a 22cal can will be destroyed by the pressure of. 5.45/223/5.56.

I'm disappointed that no one addressed this.

14. sputnik1988

Yeah, I figured that, I was asking about a 556 supressor on a .22.

15. rachilders

rachilders New Member

From what I've read from those that own them, the .22 centerfire suppressor will work with a .22 LR gun since it's bore is slightly bigger in diameter than the rimfire .22 caliber round. As long as the threads are the same on both guns you should be able install the suppressor on either gun. As others have said, there may be a minor problem with with the dirtier .22 LR ammo causing the innards to foul quicker, but many suppressors are now cleanable. Also, the sound deadening may not be as efficient with the LR caliber as it is with the centerfire round it was designed for, but there should still be a noticeable difference, especially if you use subsonic rounds in the .22LR.

16. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Re-read your title.

You asked about a 22 can on a 5.45. Semantics.

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I asked a local gun shop that sells Class III if I could get one suppressor for both 5.56 and .22 LR. He then handed me a 5.56 and .22LR suppressor and I immediately understood. The weight of a 5.56 rifle suppressor would make shooting a 22 pistol much more difficult. So while technically that combo would work there is a good reason as to why they make different variations.

Jpyle that is an amazingly cool device but it seems like you would not be able to aim very well because of the diameter of the oil filter. But the versatility is impossible to deny.

18. sputnik1988

A 5.56 is still a .22 caliber, though my title is a bit vague, in my own mind I never considered a .22LR suppressor on a 5.45 to be possible.

Next time I'll be a little more specific.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  19. sputnik1988

Never thought about the size and weight, thanks.

20. msup752

msup752 New Member

You could do it with a serviceable (take apart) .223 suppressor. As an example, search for Thompson Machine out of Florida. Their .223 can comes apart to clean the lead out for 22 long rifle. There are others.
    As was mentioned earlier, because it is rated for a higher powered rifle round, 223 suppressors are heavier and larger than 22 LR suppressors.
    My goal is to get three suppressors. One for centerfield pistol, one for rimfire, and a .30 cal center fire QD for my rifles. I have two of those pending with the ATF and the third (center fire rifle) is out of stock which is ok since I am out of money!