Wiley or Mr. Smith?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Mouser, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

so...these two are on my must have list, and though I have finally located both in a reasonable range in terms of $ and distance...it is decision time...buy one or the other or neither...both is not an option and neither really isn't either...been saving and searching and the time is near.

Your thoughts, opinions and reasoning...I will enjoy the comments! :D

Attached Files:

2. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

I like the two tone smith with the bobbed frame, but the wiley is sweet looking also but needs a skeletonized trigger and some grips. I would have to go wiley tho since i dont like the external extractors on smiths, to me it takes away from the looks of the 1911. Just my $.02

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

They're both gorgeous. I doubt you can go wrong.

4. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Seriously. That is a tough decision. I'm trying to pick one and can't make up my mind.

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I choose the Colt because external extractors on a 1911 is just wrong.;)

In all seriousness, I prefer the look of the Colt, The Smith is a bit too much for my tastes, but hey I'm old fashioned.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Either is a desirable option, but I would get the Clapp. :eek:

I have a standing order for a W C Colt with a LGS, may have to go the Gunbroker route.

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

There is a reason for Credit Cards (get both), said the Devil on your shoulder.:p;)

8. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Get the Colt. I don't like the external extractor on 1911's either. Love the bobtail on the S&W though. I'm a big Colt fan though but it's your choice.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That Smith is Purdy. :D

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Just my opinion, but a S&W 1911 is a copy, but a Colt is the real 1911.

11. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I have a Wiley Clapp and absolutely love it. Buy the Colt!

Saw a used Wiley today at the gun shop on South Blvd in Charlotte, NC. I think they are Carolina Guns and Gear. I think their web site has a link to their listings on it if you want to check it out.

12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If somebody will buy my Browning Citori in the classifieds, I will be GTG on a new, or at least new to me, Colt. :)

13. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Good luck. Sorry I'm not in the market for a Citori. But I might just order another CZ rifle tomorrow.