Wildey .475

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by michigan0626, Sep 1, 2009.

1. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

I have been looking for the most powerful handgun to possibly use for carry/personal defense. I saw somewhere that the Wildey pistol in .475 is the most powerful commercial semi-auto on the market. It has 4-5 times more energy than the great .45. 1900 ft/lbs of engery dumping into the upper thorax of the human body from a well aimed shot is sure to "STOP" the threat. The only thing I can think of more powerful is maybe the single shot Alaskan 50 SSK, which is a 50 BMG rifle round. So, how do you feel of possible carrying the Wildey .475 with a 5 inch barrel?? Ive always been told carry what you shoot well, im not sure how I could shoot it other than purchase one. Also, what is the legal aspect of this pistol?? If its good enough for Charles Bronson, it should be good enough for me, right.:cool:

Attached Files:

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The Wildey may be the most over-thought, over-engineered pistol on the planet.

It REALLY is a pistol that is about fine tuning, and less about out of the box performance.

The thing is heavy, it weighs something like 4 pounds unloaded. That is a TON of weight to carry around.

The thing is built as a large caliber, proprietary, hunting handgun.

3 locking lugs, a Ruger MK II and MK III type bottom of the pistol grip magazine clip, and a gas adjustment system just doesn't lead me to the kind of reliability that I am looking for in a self defense pistol

This is not a weapon I would recommend for self defense, unless your idea of self defense is massive over-penetration and a risk of collateral damage. :eek:

But, if you really have your heart set on it, I would maybe look around and see if you can find one to shoot before you spend THAT kind of money on a pistol you probably won't end up carrying much past the first week or two...

JD

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

That big, and that heavy- some punk with a box cutter will have you in the hospital before you can draw and take aim. The best self defense arm is not always the biggest. OTOH, if you are 6'8" and weigh 270, I retract my statement. :rolleyes:

4. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

But, can there really be overkill though. Dead is dead. The only difference between a 12 guage shotgun blast point blank to a badguy's face and a 22LR shot to a badguy's femoral artery is one is a closed casket funeral and one is open. How about a .460 rowland kit on a Colt Commander (to keep the barrel under 6 inches including compensator). What about that for carry/home defense?

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yes. Over-penetration is a VERY serious issue that needs to be considered.

That, and carrying 5 pounds of handgun is something one should consider.

.460 Rowland??

You mean, something like this??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You really should carry one of these.

[​IMG]

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^^^^

You do realize that gun doesn't really exist, right??

A handgun chambered in that cartridge would DESTROY you as a man for pulling the trigger....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc"]YouTube - Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochet[/ame]

9. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

I would definitely cc that thing. How about this for home defense. A real 50 BMG, remove the scope,add a laser and light.

Attached Files:

10. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Where's the range report!!!:D

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Michigan, what is this infatuation you have for wanting to carry such a large, heavy caliber handgun? Do you think that big a handgun is necessary for putting down a BG for personal defense? You are not, in your mind, trying to compensate for the lack of something are you? No offense here, I just am curious. :confused:

Jack

12. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Taken down.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

All you need for home defense is a good 12guage with an 18.5" barrel.

You don't need to spend $2000 either. :rolleyes:

14. Jess

Jess New Member

I think that taking multiple precautions is a much better home defense plan than having the biggest gun possible. I choose to have guns I could *shoot in my sleep*, I also have a driveway alarm, a dog trained to alert, and other weapons placed throughout the house.

But if you feel the need to carry around a giant gun by all means go for it, its all about the freedom of doing so

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I won't disagree with Jess, JD or goju....I personally think this is one of the worst CC pistols you could select. In my mind this is even worse than a DE. Will it stop a person? Yes, but it would also stop a buffalo. This is way too much gun. You'll spend a fortune on the gun itself, you'll spend a fortune feeding it and learning how to actually shoot it. As JD mentioned, it is a seriously over-engineered pistol that I think you'll spend as much time tuning as you will shooting. If you want a solid, known man stopper get a 45acp, 357 mag or even a 44mag and save the 475 for the bears.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I sure as hell hope you don't live near me! You're a walking collateral count! [​IMG]

17. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

If you're ever involved in a shooting let's hope the DA never sees what you posted above. You've decided up front to kill any intruder - including shooting them in the back. Not the sort of thing I'd post on a open public forum...

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

There is if it continues to travel through the neighbors house and then a school! [​IMG]

You really need to become a supporting member so you can get into the knowledge center and let osmosis enlighten you. [​IMG]

20. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Using an oversized and overpowered round for home defense = you being reckless with the safety of the neighbors around you.

Stick with something like a .45 ACP, and you'll have your defense needs covered. Get a full size 5" Government 1911 in .45 ACP, and get a smaller version (like a Colt Defender) also in .45 ACP for concealed carry. You will be all set, and good to go.

Also, you need to change your attitude towards defending your home with a quickness. There is no excuse for acting like some vigiliante (probably spelled that wrong). The goal is to defend and stop the threat. If you shoot someone in the back, you are a coward, plain and simple.