Wilderness Shelter?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by TLuker, Nov 12, 2012.

1. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

The fire thread made me realize that I've never seen that much mentioned about survival shelter. So I was just curios as to what some different thoughts were on the best wilderness shelters?

As a kid I could put together a lean to (sp?) really quick using a large bent over sapling in a strategic location. I would then add more saplings to it to close off one end and then weave in branches. It wasn't much but it would keep the rain off on a cold day.

So what are some other options, besides a tent?

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I like to dig into the side of a snow bank and then weave a roof out of pine. I made a good one last winter, it had shelves carved out of the snow and everything.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

The bent sapling lean-to works. For a bit more room, find a large tree that has fallen, preferably pulling roots up- the main trunk serves to support your lean-to. Rootball acts as a wind block.

You do not want too large of a shelter- smaller means warmer. You can make a small A frame shelter that works better than a lean-to. Dry weather but cold- rake up all the dry leaves you can get, and burrow into the pile.

However, my preferred emergency shelter is a Winnebago.....