wild meat/fish =700 calories per lb

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by uanda, Jun 21, 2014.

1. uanda

uanda New Member

and a good sized man, under stress (especially in cold weather) needs 5000 calories per day. Only half of an animal is edible meat, guys. So you'll be needing 10 lbs (live weight) of meat/fish EVERY DAY if you don't get a LOT of your food from plant sources. :) A squirrel weighs about a lb. A rabbit, maybe a few lbs. So don't kid yourself about what a longarm can do for you, in most areas, most of the time. You'll have to jerk a deer (more likely a dog or a 1/4 of a cow), and then CARRY all that jerky. If it's a dog, a hog or a bear, most likely you'll need a lot of salt, or the fatty meat will spoil (enough to make you bad sick if you eat it.) Hogs and bears are omnivores, they'll eat anything, and so will some dogs. :) So this sort of meat is more likely to contain parasites. Bears are notorious for feeding at garbage dumps, so they might even have been drinking water with god knows what chemicals leeched into it.

in warm weather, you don't have much time to jerk that meat, before it spoils. The quickest, most field expedient way is to cut the meat into 1/2" (or less) square strips, dip each one in salty brine water, and drape it over a drying stick, in the sun, under some bug netting.

sometimes, a fire is not all that feasible, and it's a lot of extra work/risk to your meat, too. You can be cutting up and brine-dipping a LOT more meat instead of cutting/hauling all that wood, tending that fire, etc.

2. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

If I ate 10lbs of meat a day, I would go **** crazy, and most likely end up with scurvy. You lost me at the whole "jerking a deer" thing

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

OK, wait a minute. What the hell is "Jerking a deer"?:eek:

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

makes me wonder if someone is "jerking" our chains a bit too much!:eek:

5. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

I would post a pic of what he is talking about, but it may get banned.

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I think they call that "white gloving" in the equine world.:eek:

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I remember watching a behind the scene look at how a comedy movie was made. Throughout the movie there was a dog running up and humping peoples leg. They showed how they got the dog to do it. It was some guy's job to "stimulate" the dog. I saw that and just thought, Oh my God! That is a job I wouldn't want!

8. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

I like towards the end of Freddy got fingered starring tom green when he tranquilizes his dad, flies him and his house to Pakistan to sell soccer balls, and "white gloves" and elephant. Then the elephant gloves his whiteness on Rip Torn (the dad) when he awakes from his slumber. Best movie ever.

9. t_humm

t_humm New Member

I'm starting to smell a troll

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it smelled worse earlier today. there were a bunch on at one time! ewwwww!:eek:

11. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

His posts seem kinda hyper. Like he's been eating ten pounds of salty meat a day.

12. TLuker

TLuker New Member

It wasn't the most well worded but I think there is point in there which is you aren't living off wild game alone if SHTF. And that is true and not just because of scurvy but also too much protein in most wild game. :)

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First, I would disagree with the 5,000 calories a day number. The standard Army diet using 3 MREs a day is 3,250 calories- and that can be a lot. I have had one military assignment that DID burn 5K a day (high altitude, physically demanding, severe cold weather) and trust me, it is difficult to EAT 5K a day.

I would note that anyone that attempts to live on meat and meat alone, unless they are an Eskimo, is about to have a crash. You are not an obligate carnivore- you are omnivores, and your body operates on getting a large chunk of energy from carbs. The Eskimo have adjusted to a diet that would kill anyone else.

Half of my family tree is native American. The staple STORED food- and could be stored a LONG time (refrigeration? What's THAT?) was pemmican. Made right, it tastes pretty good, keeps longer than a bad memory, and is very energy dense. Good balance of protein, carbs and fat.

Finally, some advice on gathering protein in a TEOTWAWKI situation- people found rustling our cattle will not be found. For an explanation, watch Fried Green Tomatoes.

14. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

5k a day is ludicrous unless you are a professional body builder or in some kind of extreme calorie burning situation. 3k is more than sufficient to perform well. 10 lbs of meat? Really? Maybe if you're a large predator mammal. I smell a troll as well.

15. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

So, I should not be eating 5,000 calories a day? :confused:
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403408934.290601.jpg

No offense and none taken