Wikipedia Correction

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Vikingdad, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I was doing some research on Fast and Furious and found this paragraph:

It is my understanding that straw man purchases are indeed illegal, because in order to complete one the straw man must provide false information in connection with the purchase. This last sentence in red is terribly misleading. Doe you all agree?

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

that would be news to me ... and just about almost any firearms purchaser :rolleyes:

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The statement as it reads IS correct.
    If the statement had "Summary A 2009 GAO report on efforts to combat arms trafficking to Mexico notes that straw purchasing of a firearm is not in itself illegal,..." then the information would be incorrect.

Example: If I use Mrs. A's money to purchase a tool kit for Mr. A, that is a legal "straw purchase". If I use Mrs. A's money to purchase ammo for Mr. A, that is a legal "straw purchase". If I use minor A's money to purchase alcohol for minor A, that is an illegal "straw purchase".

Link to GAO report: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09709.pdf

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  4. orangello

orangello New Member

Have you ever considered a career in individual income tax preparation or audit? :D

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Basically gello' just called you a nerd! :eek: ..... LOL :p :D

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Of course i should disclose that i do a good bit of individual income tax prep in addition to payroll tax prep. Previously, i was an tax auditor for the state (gaming, income, sales/use, etc.).

:D

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I think the grey area in straw purchase gun laws revolves around the ability to prove intent.

Example...roughly 3 years ago I tripped across a NIB stainless steel CZ75B 9mm...and she was singing my name...so I bought her. My son who was at that time still in high school fell in love with that CZ and for the first time since he was 8 years old...he finally quit begging me to buy a GLOCK.

The CZ's ability to break his "wanna be" fan boy status was enough for me to gift him this pistol as a high school graduation present and on his 21st birthday coming up in April, that pistol will officially change hands.

Nothing about this transaction would be considered a straw purchase because I did not intend to sell or gift the gun when I bought it.

I believe the question on the form asks: are you buying this gun for your sole use? Or something of that nature, so my answer of "yes" on the day bought it was not a lie, and hence, not illegal.

Tack

8. JWagner

JWagner New Member

One interesting comment I saw about the 4473 is that filling out the form with bad info could be justified if the correct info would be self-incriminating and in violation of the fifth amendment. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

..... :p

nerds.jpg

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Of course, if you read the 4473 carefully, block 11a does not have to be completed if you are picking up a "repaired" firearm for someone else. You skip directly to 11b.

So F&F was a situation that, should it come to push-and-shove, the questionable firearms were in for repair and picked up by little old ladies from Tiajuana.