Wikipedia 4473

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by clr8ter, Apr 29, 2013.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I was just reading about the 4473 on Wikipedia. Is is just me, or is most of the info in the 1st 3 paragraphs complete BS? Contains photo ID? 2 or more Handgun sales in a 5 day period must be reported? Contains Make, Model and Serial #? What?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

3. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

"Lying on this form is a felony and can be punished by up to five years in prison in addition to fines, even if the transaction is simply denied by the NICS, although prosecutions are rare in the absence of another felony committed with the gun purchased."

A clear admission that the 4473 is just a Paper Tiger, a toothless wonder and a fair choice for buttwipe material.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

4473 has been around since 1968. 45 years.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As I understand the distribution of the 4473, it stays with the LGS for 30(?) years or until LGS closes.

Then why do they care (and why should it matter) if I am of hispanic descent or what my race is?

6. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Also why does it matter if I'm buying a longgun vs a handgun, and why do they need to know about the type of gun at all?

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

It is called the 'slippery slope', give them an inch and they will take a mile!:mad:
    If they would have left the 4473 alone and used it properly it may have had a positive effect in that you could ask for a 'trace' on a gun and IF the person who purchased the gun lied on the 4473 you could (and should) prosecute them.
    But they are using it as a back door from of registration and not using it to actually try and stop drug users and mentally ill people from obtaining weapons. Just part of the well thought out strategy of the progressives and we have allowed it to happen!:eek:

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The 4473 is retained by the dealer for a period of 20 years.

Hispanic? Govt being politically correct. Makes no difference to anything- brainless Feds.

Long gun vs handgun (actually, it is "other") Difference in age to purchase.

The other information are the items completed by the dealer (what ID did you use, what were the guns, etc) and those are retained by the dealer- not part of the call in for NCIS

9. danf_fl

Thanks for correcting me on the period.

Handgun
    Long Gun (Rifles or shotguns)
    Other (frame, receiver, etc)
    These are the categories on the 4473.
    http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

On Multiple firearms sales, the ATF Form 3310 is used
    http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-3310-12.pdf

10. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I meant more along the lines of them not needing to know the serial number of the specific gun nor do they need to know the model. I was really tired when I typed that first one.

11. WebleyFosbery38

Its been ineffective just as long. Honestly, proof of citizenship should be sufficient to buy weapons and ammo. If they dont prosecute people who lie on the paperwork, why bother wasting time and paper?

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Didn't it get heavily revised in 1995ish?

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So wait.....The dealer indicates what type of ID you used, and records the M,M, & SN? And a different form is used if you buy 2 or more handguns at the same time? I was not aware of any of this.....kinda feelin' a little dumb.
    Basically, they have a registration system set up that they don't use.........

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Re: Make, model, SN- when a dealer gets a gun, he logs it into his bound book of acquired guns. When he sells it, he logs it out. The 4473 documents what went to who, and verifies the disposed book. That info is not part of the NCIS call- stays on the dealer's form there in the shop.

IF a criminal trace is being run (this gun turned up in a bank robbery. Colt says they shipped it to you in August 2002. Who did you sell it to?) the ATF will have the dealer pull the 4473s for that gun.

As far as not prosecuting people that lie on the form- granted, the Feds are unable to track a badly wounded elephant in 3 feet of fresh snow. However, here in VA, the background check is run by the VA State Police. Lie on the form here, they will come by the shop and pick up the form before they go to your house and pick YOU up. Virginia DOES prosecute felons (instead of electing them to Congress)

PS- a registration system they're forbidden by law to use- and, as i said, the NCIS does not get that info. They get your identifying info, and type of gun (rifle, shotgun, other).

15. danf_fl

Take a look at the links I provided. The sale of multiple firearms includes 2 or more semi-auto rifles larger than .22 and accept detachable magazines.

16. 1911love

1911love New Member

Don't forget, if you buy two or more handguns in a five day period you are reported to the ATF.

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've done it several times and never hesrd from them.

18. 1911love

1911love New Member

Right, but you are reported. Doesn't that bother you? It bothers me, no telling how that info is used or will be used in the future.

19. danf_fl

1 copy goes to the BATF, 1 copy to the local LEO, and 1 copy stays with the LGS.

20. WebleyFosbery38

If you asked most Americans what they are afraid of, they would tell you Terrorism and being the victim of a violent crime are their greatest fears. The 4473, new anti legal purchase/ own laws and other wide net preventative measures get a failing grade. They are trying to prevent crime by taking mugshots of the Non-Criminal! Thats like trying to sell a weight loss meds at a Bulimia Clinic!

They are so busy trying to prevent prior bad acts of CRIMINALS from reoccurring that they miles behind the terrorist trends that likely will kill more innocent folks than firesticks ever could. Airliners, Castor Beans and pressure cookers not legal guns are the tools of Terrorists and Criminals rarely buy legal guns that have any chance of being traced back to them.