Wiki-Weapon Project

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Vikingdad, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I read this very interesting article on Forbes today and thought it would be appreciated here.. (They are looking for investors-)

Here's the direct link- http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...-to-create-a-gun-anyone-can-3d-print-at-home/

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Now if someone could just design a replicator that would produce the real thing..................

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

In July on the AR15 a guy named "Haveblue" printed an AR lower receiver that he assembled and fired. Here's a link. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/579913_3D_printed_lower___yes__it_works_.html

Since the print media is plastic I presume that one could not print out a firing gun because of all of the needed metal parts (springs, barrel, etc). Interesting concept though.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The much ballyhooed "3D printed gun" was a stripped lower for a .22. The upper, bolt, firing pin, barrel, all springs, hammer, etc were METAL.

As far as making an all plastic firearm- be sure to let me know how that works out for you. Yes, has been done with very limited success.

It is also ILLEGAL as hell under Federal law- 18 USC 922.

(p)(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture,
    import, sell, ship, deliver, possess, transfer, or receive any
    firearm -
    (A) that, after removal of grips, stocks, and magazines, is not
    as detectable as the Security Exemplar, by walk-through metal
    detectors calibrated and operated to detect the Security
    Exemplar; or
    (B) any major component of which, when subjected to inspection
    by the types of x-ray machines commonly used at airports, does
    not generate an image that accurately depicts the shape of the
    component. Barium sulfate or other compounds may be used in the
    fabrication of the component.
    (2) For purposes of this subsection -
    (A) the term "firearm" does not include the frame or receiver
    of any such weapon;
    (B) the term "major component" means, with respect to a
    firearm, the barrel, the slide or cylinder, or the frame or
    receiver of the firearm; and
    (C) the term "Security Exemplar" means an object, to be
    fabricated at the direction of the Attorney General, that is -
    (i) constructed of, during the 12-month period beginning on
    the date of the enactment of this subsection, 3.7 ounces of
    material type 17-4 PH stainless steel in a shape resembling a
    handgun....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  6. bkt

bkt New Member

Uh, if I'm inclined to bang out my own firearm, and I'm most certainly not, and I only cared about one shot then it would be along the lines of a liberator. If you have a CNC machine, you can already find plans online for modern firearms. You're breaking the law if you mill one, of course.

How does this benefit us? Who here has a 3d printer? I'm sure they're out there and I'm heavy into technology, but I don't have one. Who does? Neat idea, but it misses the mark. I'd rather bend sheet steel and give my dremmel a workout rather than depend on a printed plastic receiver. So I'm a Luddite.... :rolleyes:

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

According to some dude on the Internet, Haveblue, he has done it (stripped lower) and assembled and fired it with a .223 upper on it. Take a look at the thread- http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/579913_3D_printed_lower___yes__it_works_.html

As for who has one of these machines, I have access to one that my buddy owns. He has a medical devices fabricating shop at his house and bought this expensive 3D prototyping machine that is essentially a high-end 3D printer. I plan on asking him if he thinks its feasible and may give it a try (he is not a gun guy though). These machines are getting to be very affordable (less than $1000).

As for an all-plastic gun I agree that would be illegal and foolish even if it is possible.

8. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Interesting name. Have Blue is the name of Lockheed's demonstrator project, proof of concept for the F-117 Nighthawk.

Have Blue aircraft
    [​IMG]

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

So says "AcidFlashGordon":rolleyes: