Wife's stop by a patrolman

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by BullseyePrecision, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

So my wife got a speeding ticket today and the officer was very disrespectful. So my wife is on her way home back to her hometown taking her father's ashes home so they can plan the service that we are going to have to pay for. Our 3 children are with her ages 4months, one that just turned 4, and another turning 3 next week. The 3 year old says she has to go potty, my wife speeds up because the town is about 5 miles away and when a 3 year old says she has to pee you only have minutes.

So the Trooper pulls her over, when he gets up to the car she is already crying because this is one more thing to add to her plate. He asks where she's going so she tells him about my daughter and then about her father (the box of his ashes are in the passenger seat). He just laughs at her and says "Yeah okay, give me your license and registration." Then makes her set there for 20 minutes while he's setting in his car. He gives her a ticket, my daughter didn't make it to the bathroom in time. He had no empathy at all.

I was just a little upset after everything she has went through in the past week this happens.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Twenty minutes seems reasonable.

no offense and none taken

3. BullseyePrecision

Not when your 3 year old has to use the bathroom.

4. rurak

rurak New Member

That sucks. Sometimes police officers seem like they don't use common sense but it's a tough job I'm sure

5. BullseyePrecision

Yeah but I mean treat people with some decency. Laughing at her when she says she's taking her father's ashes home what an ass.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Firearms Talk mobile app

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well he may have shown no sympathy, but hardly did he do anything that might be viewed as disrespectful. unfortuantely being a jerk, even by a LEO isn't against the law.

i think given the circumstances he should have shown some compassion, but he wasn't required to.

7. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

And the "yeah okay" is given more times then you know, the old "have to go to the bathroom" it's a common "get out of a ticket" that we hear way too often

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

The officer seems to have been more indifferent than downright malicious in this situation. Like G30USMC said, I've seen the old "I havta pee" routine on Cops more than once.

It's unfortunate that your daughter couldn't make it to the bathroom and that your wife is in the midst of a stressful time in her life, these are all parts of life and we just have to move on. Try to be the anchor for your wife & family at the time, letting your wife vent about the situation is priceless, now help her to leave it behind, she has other important matters to attend to.

Just one man's opinion, but you did ask.

Our condolences to you and yours during this time, I pray for peace for you all.

9. BullseyePrecision

Well just because he is a police officer he is not above anyone else. But yet we see that way to often now a days with our law enforcement. And how do you not view that as disrespectful? If someone says their father just passed away and you laugh I think that is pretty disrespectful.

And the bathroom subject He could of followed her to the gas station let my daughter use the bathroom and then gave her a ticket. They were almost there. That's what's wrong with our country now a days people aren't nice to each other because as Axe said they "aren't required to".

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am so sorry your wife had a bad experience with an officer among everything else she's dealing with. I guess I'm fortunate that I can't recall ever having a cop stop me that wasn't polite.

11. BullseyePrecision

Actually I didn't ask for anyone's opinion. Thanks for the condolences though.

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

My wife just needs to smile.....you will be wrapped around her finger.:rolleyes:

13. BullseyePrecision

Lol if your wife smiled at this guy she might be cuffed haha

14. G30USMC

Usually that's what you receive when posted on the forum

15. BullseyePrecision

I'm just going with the facts that I never asked for them but Thank you.

16. G30USMC

It's kinda hard to give you facts, when we was not present

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i completely understand your fustration in this matter. but it's highly likely the guy is just a jerk. and if that is the case, nothing you do is going to change that fact. he was a jerk yesterday, today he will be a jerk and tomorrow he will still be a jerk.

sadly, even jerks can be LEO's as well. yes i totally agree that given the circumstances he could have been a bit nicer and more sympathetic. but showing compassion is not a legal requirement for an officer in the course of his duties. unfortunate that your wife came upon him at such a time in her life when her stress level was high due to losing her father.

18. BullseyePrecision

The guy was just being disrespectful. That shouldn't be OK just because of his job title.

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The good news is most officers are respectful and do not take her comments as trying to get out of a ticket! When you are a professional law enforcement officer most understand human emotions and issues. So if the guy laughed as mentioned it will be only a short time before he gets his due out on the road issues by complaints to his agency. They never win in the end if they are unprofesional with the public. After retiring with almost 30 years LEO I can attest to that! There is nothing wrong with "writing a letter" to the State Police Post Commander. Be very polite and assure it is not the fact she got a ticket and she plans on paying it. I would state no doubt she certainly was emotionaly distracted. But the letter is only due to the conduct of the officer during a sensitive tramatic time for the family. It will probably be duly noted by Post Command and remembered should this conduct become a habit with this particular officer. Death is especially a time one should extend sensitivity and courtesy as much as possible. And a good professional officer can usually tell when someone is stroking them with a sob story or it is real honest issue! When I was a patrolman with the facts you mentioned I certainly would have not written her a ticket and in fact with the children would have probably sent her on her way with a verbal warning. I might have asked where she planned on stopping for the children and watch for a while to see if she really was if I had any doubt. However with the ashes and the issue it would have been a no brainer for me! I always treated people as I expected to be treated even though I had a job to do and it might not be what they wanted me to do. But would do it professionaly! Sorry for your families loss and the unfortunate contact!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  20. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I am not sticking up for the officer, but let me just throw this out, just for entertainments sake…maybe he was going through some equally or worse times as well. – just saying….

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.