Wife wants New Gun, something to keep in her purse!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Orlandorealtor, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Orlandorealtor

Orlandorealtor New Member

My wife has a Smith Model 60 3 inch Revolver never fired, but she wants me to sell it for a semi-auto Likes the Semi's(tried a glock but wants smaller) and She wants something small that doesn't have a big kick she can keep in a purse (going to buy a carry purse with the gun) The gunstore down the street showed me a New Taurus model(can't remember the name) didn't look bad but I was not really impressed with it, looking for ideas on other guns from owners that have actually used them. Thanks for your replies, Jerry

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Personally, I'd stay away from Taurus. They have some nifty designs but their QC is iffy and a lot of "lemons" seem to hit the street - had one myself. I went through this same journey for my wife and she finally appropriated my Walther PPK/S.

She likes it and shoots it well so we're both happy campers...

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Never used it but the Ruger LCP has received some good reviews.

[​IMG]

Ruger LCP Centerfire Pistol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-uRVn4irQ]Shooting the Ruger LCP .380: Amazing Accuracy[/ame]

4. Jess

Jess New Member

I would only carry in my purse if I had one specially designed for concealed carry. OR if I chose to not have a round chambered. Its just not a safe choice.

5. Orlandorealtor

She is going to get a carry purse with the gun, should have mentioned that. Thanks Jerry

6. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

I agree with staying away from Taurus. Sig makes a nice small/med .380, which is actually a copy of an old Colt design. Many on here have been happy with the Ruger LCP.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You said she never fired the revolver, so I'm assuming she wants a semi because it's sexier?

No offense, but if she's new to firearms and new to carrying, you might want to look at the Ruger LCR. MUCH safer for a beginner and still pretty sexy....even if it's a revolver!

[​IMG]

8. Orlandorealtor

Sorry did not clarify she has fired a revolver
    and a. Glock at the range Likes a semi
    better but smaller than the glock.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. richardnorton

richardnorton New Member

My wife grabbed my Glock M26 and declaired it to be her's after shooting a perfect score for her CHL, but I just replaced it with a Glock M27. She then went out of town with it and complained about the weight she had to carry. I suggested she leave the magazine at home, she almost bought it, but then woke up. I got a Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 she likes to carry, that was before Ruger came out with the LCP. Got her a stainless 2" hammerless chief she likes too. I am afraid to let her go look at guns, she always gets the "wants". But hey nothing wrong with a good selection.

10. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

BT.380 she'll love it

[​IMG]
    Bersa Thunder .380 it's what I got my wife she loves it, I've run about 1,000 rounds through it with a couple little clitchs, fail to load once and fail to eject twice out of a 1,000 rounds and that was in the dreaded break in (200rds) not a hic-up since.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  11. james_black

james_black New Member

I personnaly think no woman should be carrying a gun in their purse. What if somebody comes, overpowers her and snatch that purse from you? Not only that but what if she doesnt want to give away the purse and he pulls a knife or a gun, where is her gun, in her purse? There goes your gun!:rolleyes:

Just a thought.:)

12. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

This......

13. Orlandorealtor

Ok Will have a talk with her about that. Good idea but I do know some Ladies here experienced with guns that do carry them in their gun purse.

14. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

I'm thinking

I think in some... probably women only CCW or CCP classes they train with their purse rather then a holster:D

15. richardnorton

richardnorton New Member

Nope my wife has her hand in her purse and the gun in her hand when she is even in a small crowd or she hears someone she can't see. And she has no problem with shooting through her purse a some grease ball that tries to grab it. She has been taught first round in the groin the second third and forth in the head.

16. utf59

utf59 New Member

First, there are a couple of articles your wife would probably benefit from reading:

http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/purse.aspx

Cornered Cat - Concealed Carry for the Fashionable Woman

These are both from a firearms website called The Cornered Cat. And it's a site about firearms from a woman's (well-written) point of view. There are good articles for men there, too. One you might be interested in is on buying a gun for your wife (Cornered Cat - Buying a Gun for Your Wife. I've read that one several times :D.

Purse carry is better than no carry, but the above information is worth reviewing.

You said your wife tried a Glock and wanted something smaller. First, which Glock did she try? If it was one of the "baby" Glocks, which dimensions does she want to be smaller (length, height, thickness, weight)? I'm not trying to sell you a Glock, just trying to get a starting point and a direction.

As always, if you have access to a range that rents guns, let her try as many as you both can stand. The more she tries, the more she'll understand what she likes and doesn't like.

17. richardnorton

richardnorton New Member

Ok well I will start by saying if you go back and read my original post you will find it was a Glock model 26, and she took if after firing a perfect score on her cancealed handgun license shooting. The dimensions she wanted smaller was the weight. Ok that said our backyard range doesn't rent guns but she has her selection of maybe 30 or 40 pistols in the gun safe to try anytime she wants and she has shot most of them by now. We are both retired Army Officers so are used to shooting handguns, whatever the Army was using at the time. And she did buy a carry purse at the last NRA (she is a Life Member) annual meeting. She has a CHL in Texas and it extends to many states and the ones it doesn't extend to we just pass through and carry the guns anyway, you know the old saying "better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I personally think the Glock is a BAD idea for a person new to carrying (or even fairly new to firearms) because of the safety system, or lack thereof. Not a pistol for the inexperienced. I'm just looking out for the lady's well-being, and that of those around her. :)

19. utf59

utf59 New Member

Yep. My bad.

There are some 9mm single-stack guns out there that weigh less than the G26. Look at Kahr CW9, Kel-Tec P-11, Walther PPS and the Rohrbaugh 9. If she'd be happy with a .380, those same companies offer .380 models, and there a others who make .380s as well. I don't know about your area of the country, but around here, .380 has been very difficult to find.

If you get American Rifleman, they have an article this month comparing a bunch of .380s.

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

The "original post" was by orlandorealtor and I think the thread has gotten of topic. Sorry.

[​IMG]