Wife says no to purchasing AR-15

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Graniteman, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graniteman

Graniteman New Member

Ok so I just bought a Ruger LCP to carry everyday. I spent about $500 for it with all the accessories. In order to please the wife I gave her $500 so she could go shopping. She seemed to like the idea and went with it. Now I really want to buy an AR-15 so I told her I would give her the same amount it costs me to buy it. She said no cause she doesn't want an assault rifle in the house. How can I convince her to let me get one?

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Prejudice runs deep and it is really hard to overcome. It is based on ignorance(progressive indoctrination). Good luck, you will need it!:(
    If it helps, I am a LEO with 30+ years experience and I think it is wise to acquire a semi-auto rifle to protect your home and family. Just the responsible thing to do. You do not need an 'assault rifle', but they were basically outlawed in the 1930's (assault rifles have the select fire option, full auto)!!!;)
    Welcome to the site. Stick around and you will learn a lot.:)

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have an AR15 that I built myself. I also have a wife. If I had to pick one...I'd be keeping the wife.

There are guns in every gun store, sporting goods store, and pawn shop. But a good woman...a truly good woman... is hard to find.

Does the wife shoot? If not, invite her to the range to shoot some 22s. Warm her up to it slowly. Maybe work on her over time.

4. JimRau

A 'good women' would not give her husband this type ultimatum, she would trust his judgment!!!:(

5. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

If you don't have children, cut and run. There is always a new wife with less attitude around the corner.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Wrong section to post in.

You may not be able to convince her, since she has already bought into the brainwashing scare tactics of the misuse of the word assault rifle.

It's a semi-auto, not capable of select fire. It is no more dangerous than any rifle. Does she think it will jump out of the house and go on a killing spree on its own? It's another machine made out of plastic and metal. It has no will of its own.

But if here fear is irrational, trying to rationalize may not work.

Are you sure she has no concern about the double financial whammy of your proposal to basically spend double in your quest to own an AR. What was your proposed spending budget once it was fully outfitted and you stocked up on ammo. Some folks can spend close to $2000 once they include accessories, sights, optics, mags, ammo, etc. she may not like the idea of a $4000 hit to the household budget if you both spend $2000. The equal spending strategy can get couples into deep debt pretty fast.

7. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Let her shoot one!

She'll realize it's actually fun, and not some evil, black killing machine spawned from hell.

8. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Show her this...... My daughter shooting ours.....

image-248260446.jpg

9. JimRau

My 11 year old grandson could not get enough of my AR!:)

10. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

Well if she is against it, tell her your going to start building one and involved her in the process. In the meantime educate her about them. Yes a good woman is hard to find. I had to wait 3 years before my wife was comfortable enough to have a gun in the house. If she already is comfortable, just Give her time. She will come around

11. vincent

vincent New Member

Buy a Ruger 10/22 first...

Then pick up a conversion kit...(Archangel comes to mind) and physically show her there is ZERO difference in functionality by simply swapping the stocks as she watches...

If after that, she still doesn't understand, I guess you'll just have to roll with it...:cool:

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Start showing her stories of home invasions. Tell her about multiple bad guys. Also show her women and stories of women who advocate the AR. Maybe you can scare her into the gun. Or, how good are you at hiding things?-JK

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am amazed at how little importance people put on marriage. If she is already ok with a pistol in the house she must not be total anti-gun. I am the head of my household. But I value my wife's opinions. It is not my way or the highway. If she had a real fear, even if it was irrational, I would try to respect that. I would try to slowly work her though it.

JimRau...how long you been married?

14. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

A healthy relationship is about two partners serving each others needs. It's not about "if you get X, I want Y."

Needing to bribe her with equal "shopping" money to "smooth over" your LCP purchase is a red flag to me.

...the old "I won't have "object X" in my home" is a command/ultimatum.

My wife tried I'd 18 years ago when I brought home my first hangun.

I told her her mother was 2 hours south and to have a nice trip. ;)

She pouted for a few hour but didn't complain about it again.

Tack

16. Graniteman

Graniteman New Member

That's the new mentality. Just cut and run. I'm old school one life one wife. Do you think I'm perfect :)

17. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

buy a wood stock mini 14....tell her it wasn't even on the "assault ban list" and it is a much safer weapon than an AR-15. :rolleyes:

just a thought, brother....and rememeber "happy wife, happy life..." :)

thanks and remember, i'm here to solve all of life's problems. :D

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

If I were someone's wife I would say, "You buy yourself an A-15 and I demand my own." I so want an AR. :( And the 'badder' looking, the better.

19. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

10 bucks says he's divorced.....

More than one bad idea there.....IMHO

I think the best idea someone mentioned is to take her shooting and see what happens, but don't push. Start with a 22. If she allows a gun in the house now, you're not starting from square one.
    My wife is fairly anti gun. She does allow any gun I want in the house, but complains if they're left out, and makes it clear she doesn't like them. BUT, she will come shooting. Not often, but when she does, she seems to have fun. Every time I go, I make it a point to invite her. But I also make it clear that if she doesn't want to go, that's cool. Guy time is good, too.:cool:

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

in a way, i'm seeing this like Tack is. huge red flags.

a marriage is an equal partnership and it should not be about bribery or her letting you get an AR.

in my marriage, my wife doesn't let me do anything or let me buy anything. i'm an adult and capable of making adult decisions. nor do i let my wife do anything or let her buy anything, as she's an adult and my partner in this marriage. any major purchases we discuss our best options and the costs. we discuss just about everything and do what is the best interests of both of us.

IMO, no one partner should be controlling by letting the other do something or buy something. that's what you do with children, but not adults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.