Wife gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TreyB55, Jun 24, 2013.

1. TreyB55

TreyB55 New Member

Finally talked my wife into getting a pistol to keep on her, since we have lur first child coming next month. What are the suggestions for her? Was thinking like the LCP .380. Anything else I should try to find and let her check out? She handles my P226 in .40 easily, for reference.

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

I recommend keeping it the same caliber as yours for simplicity's sake. My wife loves her S&W M&P.

I say just take her to some LGSes and have her hold/rent different guns to see what feels best in her hand, and go from there.

My mom-in-law has an LCP, and personally I hate shooting it. It kinda has sharp recoil despite being a small caliber. The gun is so small that it just beats you up. Maybe she won't mind it, but I didn't like it.

3. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

How bout a Bersa Thunder, comes in .22 and .380. I'd recommend the .380

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

I have the 22 version. My wife loves how it feels in her hand. She actually picked it out. I'm sure the .380 would be a good choice.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take her someplace where she can get as many to try as possible.

She is more apt to carry her choice.

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Let HER go to the gun shop and pick what she likes and can carry. She can talk to a instructor and get advise all on her own.

7. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

My wife carries a bersa thunder 380 and loves it. I like shooting it to when she lets me lol.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If she gets an auto make sure she can easily manipulate slide.
    Don't forget revolvers, they are an excellent choice.

9. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

My wife had a LCP, but the recoil of that little thing was sharp and not conducive to accuracy for her,, she picked up the Bersa and is much happier with it and she handles it much better, but as stated,, let her choose and shoot her choices if possible, before plunking down the cash,, it will be far more cost effective,, good luck.

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Have her shoot 40S&W for simplicity's sake? I think getting a 9mm is still pretty simple...

You cannot forget the hardest part of this equation for a woman. It isn't which gun she'll like or shoot well with. It is how she wil carry.

Guys can carry just about any way we want because our clothes are genrally forgiving. Women have a very different set of issues when they carry. If I were you, I'd spend as much time thinking about carry methods as you do about which gun to purchase.

And in the end...YOU don't make any decision for her. You can make informed suggestions, but ultimately SHE must make the decisions or she won't carry.

11. Debthereb

Debthereb New Member

I have the LC9 great size but I don't like the recoil- I love my M&P 9mm much better!

12. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

If she likes your .40, is familiar with its operation, and its proven to be reliable. Give it to her, and go buy yourself a new gun.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

If you notice, the OP said his wife has shot his .40 and is comfortable with it. Therefore, clearly she can handle the caliber. No reason to start her off on a smaller caliber just because she's a new shooter? If she's already comfortable with one caliber, why not look for one of those? And when I said simplicity I meant keeping the calibers the same so they can use the same self defense ammo.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  14. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I would say whatever feels right in your wife's hand. Also.. I got my wife the LC9 and she hated the loooong trigger pull on it. Picked up a M&P Shield 9MM and she likes that better. Just saying. Good Luck~!

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I'm not familiar with the Sig P226, but in this case, with a child on the way, I would give strong consideration to a carry gun with an external safety.

I know many on here rail against external safeties, but most are experienced, mature adults. Although your wife will be in control of the weapon 99.9%, there is the distinct possibility that at some point in the future, your child may encounter the weapon, unsupervised. I hope this never happens but if it does the external safety adds one more layer of complexity between a child's curiosity & tragedy.

Congratulations & God bless you all.

16. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I hate to be the downer here....but if you had to work at talking her into it, might not be a great idea. She has alot going on right now, with the pressures, and concerns of giving birth, and having a new baby a month from now. Maybe wait a while, and talk about it later....? Just a woman's point of view. Unless you live between 2 crack dens, and mother/child will be in some kind of immediate known danger....

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  17. JW357

JW357 New Member

Not a bad suggestion. Except my wife and I got into guns when she was pregnant. It was an added comfort having the gun in the house for her, amidst all the strains and pressures of pregnancy.

18. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Sounds good...but he said "i finally talked her into it", might be a little different than your situation.....

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

True. I dunno. I guess they can make that decision.

20. TreyB55

TreyB55 New Member

Didn't really have to do much convincing on getting the gun, just keeping with her is what she didn't want to do.