Wife got her CHL! Now where to carry?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by mcfroggin, May 9, 2011.

1. mcfroggin

mcfroggin New Member

My wife just got her CHL, and I am very proud of her! Now we are trying to debate where she should carry. She is only about 5'3'' 110lbs or so - doesn't make things easy. She doesn't really wear anything with a decent sized pocket, and something that big on her hip would likely look odd. I could tell her to wear baggy clothing, but she would just hurt me.

Does kangaroo carry work well for small women?
    Is purse carry the best option?
    She seems to think that she could just wear a jacket 100% of the time and get away with a shoulder holster. IF she wasn't so finicky about being hot/cold all the time, I might believe her.

I never thought hiding a gun would be so difficult, but I am glad the wife is excited about it.

Any other ideas?

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

What is she carrying?

I know there is a holster out there that holds the pistol basically between a woman's breasts but slightly lower and you can't tell at all. If she is "gifted" it would hide all the better and unless she's a hugger it's an area that would rarely see contact by folks who aren't in the know.

3. yellowhand

yellowhand New Member

small lady carry

My wife is about same size, a little person:)
    A Fanny pack designed for a firearm, small, med, or large works well for her.

4. WDB

WDB New Member

I've been through this process a few times with my girlfriend, my daughter and now my daughter in law. I believe CC is not gender based it is based on what works if you need the firearm. In short carry in a place you can reach the firearm quickly as there will be little time to open a bag/pack or pouch. CC requires some change including how you dress at times. Same advice/respect I would give to a man facing the same issue I give to the women in my life. A IWB holster is your best friend, lets find one that fits you well. There is no magic holster for woman, the best holsters tested/proven are available and if you want to protect the one you love find one that fits well and she can access quickly.

Take no offense to my input, I have seen the gimics focused on the fairer sex and each time I ask myself would I carry that way? If the answer is no then why would I want a person I love carry like that. There are a lot of small frame men that CC using proven holsters look at the same for the woman in your life.

More detail on the pistol your wife would carry will lead to some solid advice concerning holsters.

5. utf59

utf59 New Member

Here's a really good article from a woman's perspective. That's a good site to browse around, too, whether you're male or female.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's what I would carry IF I were a woman.....or Spitty.

7. mcfroggin

mcfroggin New Member

We have a few guns for her to choose from. She is debating between the XD9 and the PPS - 40. I thinks she shoots just as well with the LCP, but getting her to carry something that small will take an act of God.

She is a pretty frequent hugger, so I'm not sure about this bra thing. I never even knew that existed.

8. mcfroggin

mcfroggin New Member

I had to see this bra thing in action. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8r6CY5UZyw]YouTube - Flashbang bra holster demo, sexy, fast, and practical.[/ame]

9. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

That gives a whole new meaning to booby trap. Just think of all the fun you could have searching her to find the pistol.

10. smokinbunta

smokinbunta New Member

"is that a gun or r u just happy to see me?" LOL

11. WDB

WDB New Member

Wth......................

Attached Files:

12. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I have had a few female friends say that they would like to carry a gun for self-defense and ask about carry methods. I always try to be helpful but I'm a guy (a wide one :D) and therefore I don't have the same issues trying to conceal a weapon that a woman does. So, I just wanted to post a link to a video my GF found. The woman in the video is quite knowledgable on concealed carry issues that women face that us guys are clueless about:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk]YouTube - Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women[/ame]

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I think it comes down to the woman being willing to have several different carry options. By several, I mean, every option. Women have such a larger amount of outfit types than guys do. I carry 4 or 5 different ways. A woman should have, maybe 7-10 different options from pocket, thigh, belly band, IWB, OWB, ankle, shoulder rig, etc. And this costs MONEY!!!!

I do NOT suggest a purse.

14. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

I agree with you ^^ on the fact women have more options. I took my cousin holster shopping and we spent 2 hours trying out different methods for her to carry. What was nice was the owner of the shop let her bring her guns in with her unloaded of course and try the holsters out on her body. She ended up buying 3 different holsters 1 iwb, shoulder holster, and a ankle holster. She is planning on getting a pocket holster and wait till i tell her about the thigh holster she prolly will want one of those too.

15. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

The bra holster idea is cool but I have yet to find one that would hold the XD 9 your wife is considering carrying. I found that my rather large chest got in the way while trying to unholster my gun from a shoulder holster :p besides summers in Utah get warm can't be wearing a jacket all the time. My latest endeavor has been to carry it on my stomach just below my rib cage. I went to Wal Mart and bought a corsette type spandex thing sewed a pocket onto the back of it and carry it there. the downside to this is you can see the imprint through my tighter t-shirts. but since I mostly wear dresses and button up shirts I don't worry too much about it. I also will wear a thigh holster with my tighter dresses... Just some thoughts.

16. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I am tired of collecting holsters for the wife too. She has a IWB that I made for her that she will on special occasions wear. Other than that she carries in her pocket book which I hate. Her jeans are too tight for most IWB and she says her dresses are too short for a thigh rig while sitting, some shorts have enough pocket room most do not, fanny packs are out period, the flash bang got my attention not too sure it will hers, OWB at 4o'clock seems to work good at times. Trying to get her to look at a belly band is not going over well, so I am running out of ideas to get her weapon out of her pocket book, as she sets it down every chance she gets.

I am looking for good suggestions from the ladies who carry, what works good for you and your body type. My wife is 5'10" and around 140-150lbs. (she is gonna kill me) and carries a Bersa Thunder CC .380 8+1