Wife Convincing?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Copernicus, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Copernicus

Copernicus New Member

Howdy everyone,

Just a quick question for everyone. I just purchased my 1st handgun and I'm afraid I've got the gun bug. How does one convince the wife to let him have another firearm. She just uses the "one is enough" line. Any thoughts?

Thanx
    -C-

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I guess that would depend on your budget. Does she have only one purse or only one pair of shoes or only one nice dinner dress??

If the answer is yes, you are probably screwed.

If the answer is no, and you can easily afford to pay bills and gather new toys, then I don't think she has much of an argument left for you.

JD

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Explain the rule of "two's".

"Two is one, and one is none".

But be ready for her to turn that around on you pursuant to JD's thread above.

4. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

I agree with Dillinger....

As a test, let her wear only one pair of shoes for a month....with every outfit. I can't use the one purse argument though since she only uses a "Coach" and it fits her handgun "just right":rolleyes:!

Once I had her convinced it was an enjoyable hobby we could do TOGETHER (pay attention...key word here guys!), she started shooting on her own.....now she carries every day, visits the range regularly, and buys ME guns....I LOVE this woman!!

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Take her shooting!
    Take a firearms safety class together.
    With any luck she'll want some of her own!

6. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

That can backfire on you... my wife now is buying herself guns and I only get half of what I really need. :cool:

7. PIMking

PIMking New Member

well my plan wasn't the best but it worked. I just bought another one and when she found out about it I told her to quit bitching. I pay the bills.

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

My philosophy is: It is a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Once you buy one, you cant return it right? ;)

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Tie her up and gag her, go out and buy what you want then it will be too late ;)

10. ScottG

ScottG New Member

It's quite simple. You need one of each caliber. Rimfire to learn and practice with, a centerfire to get used to shooting, and a large caliber to actually use for self and home defense.

Tell her you'll need a .22 semi-auto and revolver to become proficient with handguns. Tell her you need to have a .32ACP or .380ACP for her to use - if she's of the smaller build. You will need a both a .44 revolver and a .45, because all the smaller calibers are worthless when it comes to self defense. Then you'll need to branch out into long guns. Start out with a plain pump shotgun. These are considered necessities, not even a real gun. No one can complain about having a plain ol shotty.

Once you convince her of the true need of the long gun, she will come to the realization that you do need a milsurp in the venerable 30-06 caliber. Of course, you'll need that scoped rifle for possible hunting situations if the econmy goes bad. And don't forget the classic American lever gun. No one gets scared of a lever gun. Next thing you know, you'll have everything you're interested in.

Now, you might lose out on some sex as a bit of pushback while trying this technique, but you just need to decide what your priorities are.... :D

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Women like to have financial security. Convince her that firearms are long term, piece of mind, personal protection, and valued investments, just like gold or money is.

Ironically, all three can be used to acquire each other. ;)

Jack

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Copernicus, does this mean all hope in the world is lost? I mean, Copernicus needs help with logic? Where the heck is Plato when you need him? Oh, that's right, today is his day for the bath house...

Seriously, relying on safety and protection from one gun is like relying on safety and protection from one good tire and one good seatbelt. Plus, can anyone really place a value on your family's security?

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

You have several options:

A. Reason with her as others have mentioned.
    B. Demand that she not infringe on your 2A right to keep and bear arms and inform her that you do not need her permission anyway, the Supreme Court says so. (unfortunately she may direct you to the ladies of the Court should you desire l'amore, so use this one cautiously :eek:)
    C. Don't tell her, just hope that guns are better than sex to you because you are celibate if she finds your cache. :(

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

take all her tampons right in the middle of "that time of the month". leave her one while she is there. respond to the question "wf are you doing??" with "One is enough..."

15. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

my friend gave me this advise. get most of the guns i will need BEFORE i get married. other than that i can't give advise cause i am not married. But i agree you would have to make it a "joint hobby" involve the whole family. I believe with firearms in the house everyone should be comfortable around them.

16. Copernicus

Copernicus New Member

That's why I love this forum. So many wonderful ideas. I can tell every single one of you have had to go thru this before. I bought the P250 but I was able to shoot a Kimber Compact II at the range and fell in love with the 1911 platform. I guess I'm in a whole world of trouble now. Thanx for all the thougful replies

17. JD57

JD57 New Member

Or you can marry an asian wife and have the best
    of all worlds.
    You can have as many guns as she has shoes.
    A big plus is they never argue with you about anything.:D

18. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I'm confused on the shoe thing. You guys allow your women to wear them? Mine has no need of them in the kitchen.

19. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Hey Benning…. Glass wants to have a little word with you. :eek::D

20. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Tell her no, she doesn't have to make me a sandwich, although another beer would be nice.;)