wife and glock...help

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Buns79, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Buns79

Buns79 New Member

ha guys Im new here and need some help, my wife and I were at the range over the weekend and she likes my G19 it fits her hand well and the 9mm round has less recoil than any of my other handguns but she cant shoot a semi auto pistol I have several other makes but the outcome is always the same one or two rounds and then it jams...I know why this happens just cant seem to correct the problem, she is for lack of a better term limp wristed and is taking up all the recoil in her wrists. Can someone please help me with this problem any ideas how to "fix" her! The only revolver I have is a ruger sp101 in 357 and with it loaded with 38spl she still cant hit anything!

2. EiteCombat

EiteCombat New Member

Hi Buns, welcome to the forums! Btw, you might want to check out the introductions thread so you can introduce yourself to everyone.

My question would be, how much shooting experience does your wife have? It could be just a question of some proper training for instance. When I was helping my girlfriend learn how to shoot, I got some great info from the guys here. I'm sure they can head you in the right direction.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Ditto on the training. I have seen an alternative to the basic Weaver stance that women can use to offset the effect of "limp wristing."

4. Buns79

Buns79 New Member

I guess I will have to send her to some shooting classes she is left handed and I have tried everything I know of with no luck, she does this with everything from a 380 on up! but she is real good a mossburg 500 lol!

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Put a 13 lb recoil spring in that Glock and see what happens. I keep 13 and
    15 lb ISMI springs set up on captured steel guiderods--takes about 20
    seconds to swap out.

6. Logan2302

Logan2302 New Member

G19 recoil

This may not be popular among some shooters, but ask her to try this: if she has large enough hands, have her put the index finger tip of her non-dominant hand over the front of the trigger guard (it looks like its made for it). Apply just enough pressure to keep the pistol stable and it will hold down the recoil jump. I shoot Glocks this way most of the time, but I'm not LEO.

7. Buns79

Buns79 New Member

I will give both of these a try thanks

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

While this technique is/was fashionable in some circles, it actually weakens the grip.

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

The first thing I would do is make sure her firing hand is as high up on the grip as she can get it without getting bitten by the slide.

Second, I would check her posture. Make sure her back is straight or that she is leaning *slightly* forward.

Third, I would make sure her feet are facing forward with her weight on the balls of her feet and not her heels.

There is more to a good shooting stance and grip, but if her stance and grip are the problem, this should be enough to reduce the number of jams. Other things (thumbs down vs. straight thumbs, feet side by side vs. one foot in front, etc.) are often a matter of personal preference.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Make sure the gun "sits" in the web of the hand. Have the barrel in line with the forearm and have the thumb out to form a "V" between the index finger and thumb. Have the gun "beaver tail" as close to the web of the hand as possible (if not pushing into the web). Gently grip the gun using the same pressure you would as if you were using a hammer (too loose and hammer flies, too tight and you tire quickly). Let the forearm absorb the recoil versus the hand or thumb. This will help with the limp wrist.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife took my G19. She liked the trigger but the grip was a little too big for her. I dont have large hands and it is almost too big for me. She was still getting an occasional limp wrist jam but it was improving with practice. I bought her a Ruger SR9c which has a great trigger and a smaller more friendly to her grip. She shot it Tuesday and did very well. No jams and better groups. She is pretty happy with it. Maybe she will let me shoot it sometime. I did get my G19 back.

12. dp509

dp509 New Member

I would start her out with a .22

Let her get good with it and move up.

13. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

Buns, you live in Chatham, Illinois? That is the home town of the Illinois State Rifle Association, pal. I'd almost bet that if you call their office they can refer you to a local firearms instructor who can help you and your wife. If not, call the NRA and ask for information on one of their local instructors.

In reference to the .38 special... Have you tried using target loads in the pistol for her? Target loads are reduced power loads that are used by some shooters for competition/practice needs. Ask your local gun store about target loads or target reloads for practice shooting. They will probably be a wadcutter type round loaded to the top of the cartridge case and not extending beyond it. They are a softer recoil and much more accurate. One other thing to do is have the trigger properly honed or stoned by a competent gunsmith too. This will soften the trigger pull which could also be a problem for a new shooter, especially if the trigger pulls really hard.

14. Buns79

Buns79 New Member

sorry for the late response its been a bit busy around here...I did not know that chatham was the home of the ISRA! Ive lived here my whole life and never knew that...wow! I will def. check that out!

15. Buns79

Buns79 New Member

Oh and yes I have tried 38spl target loads it helps her but still not doing great with it...We will keep praticing and trying new things she will get it I have faith!

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

She is probably having a problem with trigger control on that DA revolver and DA semi-auto.

Single-action semi-auto's and DA/SA revolvers may be one option. The lack of trigger travel will help her stay on target since the BANG will come quicker and might be more of a surprise.

How about the High-power 9mm? It is steel and will absorb some recoil, plus it is single-action!!!

Attached Files:

17. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

If there is enough room that her thumb would get bit, I suppose she can wrap the thumb of her off hand around the top of her left wrist, but be careful to make sure there is enough clearance there. What about a simple athletic wrist brace. Have her shoot with that one for a month or two, as a training aid, and then have her take it off again. Along with the other points mentioned above in regards to correct stance, and alot of practice, she should be giving Bruce Piatt a run for his money within months.

18. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Great thread! I think I can help!

My wife is also an excellent shot wit her Mossberg 500! It's AWESOME to see
    a light-weight lady shoot 00 buck and Slug shots. (most of the fun is
    watching all the others reactions.)

THE FIX:
    My wife also bought a Glock 17 and was having the same problem. The occasional
    jam due to a loose grip (i don't like saying limp wrist). Our cop friend/department
    shooting instructor told her to pull the left hand toward her and push the right hand
    further away. This basically stiffens the wrists. She hasn't had a jam since.

Now to get rid of her nasty habit of pushing the gun while firing.

19. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

That's great. That left bicep contraction and right tricep contraction just serves to tighen the grip without requiring more hand strength.

+1

20. Buns79

Buns79 New Member

I am happy to say after using and trying many of your suggestions this past weekend she managed to but 45 rounds down range all hitting center mass without one singe jam and now she wants her own g19...thanks again for all the help we will continue to practice but thing are looking good!