Wierd Springfield markings

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by JonM, Feb 25, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

on the underside of the slide of my springfield armory 1911A1 which is a little over 10 years old there is hand etched 665. this is also the last 3 digits of the frames serial number. any idea why SA would hand etch that there??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Damn....just be happy you didn't end up with the "next one" in line.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

ya i can see some lib da prosecuting the poor bastard that got that one as a devil gun using maniac if it has to be used in self defense.

one other thing that gun was purchased new in the box special ordered so i know that it wasnt done by a previous owner.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Have you tried contacting Springfield?

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

not yet but it doesnt bother me. im just curious and wondering if anyone knew why. ive seen it before. my winchester mod 70 super express 458 winmag has a similar hand etched last 4 serial number on the bolt i bought it back in the late 80's and my recent purchase 2 years ago remington 700XCR compact tactical has a laser dot-etching of its last 4 on the bolt.

the remington looks clean while the winchester and SA etching looks like it was hand etched.

just wondering what the purpose of that is.

6. 38SuperFan

38SuperFan New Member

I think Springfield marks various parts with the last few digits of the serial number so you'll know they belong to that gun. So a simple field strip can tell you if someone has swapped out a part. Many guns dating way back also used this parts numbering, old single action revolvers, and Lugers come to mind. It might also have some warranty implications nowadays.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

OMG! That one was made for the Neighbor of the Beast! :p

Seriously- assembly number- allows them to keep the right parts together during fitting.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

neighbor of the beast. lol that would be me. my next door neighbor is a lawn nazi. i get harsh stares when i mow my lawn then she dashes inside and 30-40minutes later her son comes tooling up and starts mowing her lawn.

the whole while he is out there she is yelling at him how he is doing it wrong. she hectors on at her boy even though he owns and runs a lawncare service.

i havent seen it on many other springfields. i wonder if it was only for a certain time.

9. silentghost

silentghost New Member

I've have those same type of markings on mine as well.

10. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Just the way Springfield identifies the slide and frame go together.

11. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

that person looked like they were left handed and not the sharpest knife in the drawer... idk

12. General_lee

General_lee New Member

My GI Springer has that, but my Loaded does not:confused:

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

its wierd. ive seen it on some but not others. the winchester supergrade i gave my dad for xmas didnt have its bolt marked not all remingtons are marked same with springfield. ive never seen a colt marked like that.

im wondering if its something they do only on certain models or where certain gun parts are made.

14. thundrr1

thundrr1 New Member

Once SA fits the slide to the frame, they would scribe those last three numbers on the slide to insure they stayed together. This is usually done to the guns that have more fitting done to them, TRP, Professional, Letham Legend. I'm not sure how far down the line they go (TM's, etc), but I do know those get a lot of ID on them. The LL goes to the barrel link.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

that makes sense. m surprised they would do that on their 1911A1 model then.