Wierd GP100 Problem

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by CA357, Sep 1, 2009.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have a 4" GP 100 and I changed the grips out and put Pachmayr finger groove grips on it last night.

Then the wierdest thing happened. It functions, but it has gotten very tight to cycle. When I pull the trigger, there's lots of resistance and the cylinder is very tight to turn. The trigger pull is off the charts.

I pulled the grips back off and pulled the hammer spring, hammer and trigger group and everything seems normal. I cleaned the parts up, lubed the trigger group and reassembled it. Same problem.

So I disassembled it and reassembled it several times, all with the same result. I am completely stumped. Obviously the grips have nothing to do with the operation of the revolver, so it just doesn't make sense.

It seems that I'm missing something, but I haven't a clue. Does anyone have any suggestions? And why would such a thing happen in the first place?

BTW, this is the first .357 I ever owned. I had an opportunity to buy it back from a buddy. I had it to the range last weekend and it shot fine. I plan on using it as my woods gun for if and when we ever get to Oregon.

2. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Is your grip screw overtightened and pinching the mainspring? Just a thought.

3. CA357

No. I tried it with the grips off and on and it makes no difference.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Let me get this straight. You changed grips & now it's trying to lock up? Is the internal lock (if equipped) partially "on"? Are the grips or screw interfering with the spring? Did the screw knock the spring/hammer stirrup out of their normal position? It sounds like the stirrup/spring/bushing got knocked out of alignment to me. Got pics of it with the grips off?

5. CA357

Bear, it's a Ruger, so no internal lock, but it does have a transfer bar. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm going to play with it some more tonight and if I can't get it right, I'm going to send it off to Ruger. I'll let them figure it out.

6. CA357

Okay, I completely disassembled the trigger group this time around. It operates fine. The problem arises when it's assembled. I've taken Rugers apart a bunch of times to do trigger jobs, so I don't think I have an issue of doing something wrong.

The best way to describe it is that the trigger is binding. I guess I'll ship it off to Ruger's New Hampshire shop tomorrow.

7. stalkingbear

The newest Rugers do have an internal lock-the reason I asked. It sounds like an assembly or hammer/trigger alignment problem but that wouldn't explain having the problem arising from just changing grips. I'd have to see it to fix it.

Be sure & have the gun as factory before you send it back-Ruger will change it back to factory condition.

8. CA357

I didn't realize that Ruger had gone to an internal lock. :confused:

As I've said, it just doesn't make any sense, so I'm going to ship it off to Ruger. I hate to do it because the last time I sent them handgun, they lost it in the shuffle and it took almost five months to get it back. :eek:

9. CA357

It's on its way to Ruger. I hope it doesn't take forever to get it back. :rolleyes:

10. Donnyj

Donnyj New Member

I sent my GP100 back in March of this year..... I just got it back about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Good luck!

11. CA357

Oh crap. That's just what I didn't want to hear. :rolleyes:

12. Donnyj

Donnyj New Member

Sorry. Hopefully you won't have to deal with that. Mine was a unusual situation since Remington was paying to have the gun fixed. Maybe that is why mine took so long to get repaired.

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

How new of a Ruger do you need to have for it to have the lock?

14. stalkingbear

I'm thinking it's been about 2 years now. I believe it was the same time they came out with the mk 3 .22 pistols.

15. CA357

I got the receipt from Ruger in yesterdays mail. Now, the countdown begins.

16. CA357

I called the Ruger service department a short time ago. They told me it shipped out today via UPS 2 day air. The rep didn't tell me what they did, but there should be something in the box that states the work done. I'll be glad to get it back, I much prefer the 4" GP100 as a nightstand gun over my Model 37.

17. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I know you'll let us know and thanks for the post. It reminded me to call Savage and Magtech.

I've gotta start writing things down!!! :(

18. CA357

Post-it's are the answer. I have different sizes so I can even put Post-it's on my Post-it's. Which actually happens more than I should admit. ;)

19. CA357

The GP100 came home yesterday. There were no specifics mentioned, but the paperwork said that some internal parts were replaced. I'm just glad to have it back. The turn around was fast, from shipping it to Ruger to getting it back, was almost exactly a month.

20. stalkingbear

I'm glad it worked out for you. It's nice to know Ruger is still standing behind their products like they're known for.