widham ARs

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by CaseyChadwell, Sep 27, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Cabelas has these on sale for 699 right now. Anyone have any experience with these? I've never shot one, but the price seems right, plus with every purchase you help out the wounded warrior project...could one go wrong with this purchase?

2. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Keep in mind, I would like to hunt coyotes with this rifle, so accuracy needs to be decent enough out to 200 yards. Apparently these are cabelas exclusive firearms...

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I saw those and the variance in visible parts like the cheap stock used. Have not had any experience with this rifle but one thing I do know it is made by the same people who did own and build the Bushmasters in the North East. The Freedom Group bought the brand and moved it to NY State. Then the old Bushmaster group just started another factory.?????
    If that tells anyone anything. Not my choice but could be worth it for the money. But you can build a great quality rifle yourself for around $750.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I have one, and I love it. I bought the slightly upgraded Cabela's model when they had it on sale before the market turned upside down.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Guaranteed for life, They used to be Bushmaster back in the day when bushmaster was good. Then they went into retirement and Bushmaster then began having some bad reputations The owner of windham didnt want to have his company name he made for many years fall by the wayside, so when Bushmaster was sold to Remington I believe, and moved the production out of Maine, and left all the machines etc, the owner came back out of retirement , bought the old company tooling back for pennies on the dollar, and started the new company Windham Weaponry. I have one and its fit and finish were better than any other brand I compared to in the stores and has been nothing but fun ever since.

For 699.00 they are practically giving them away. before the big scare they were selling for 850 to 950 dollars in the stores.

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Mine before the boating accident: :(
    [​IMG]

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The Windmaster story is a nice one but as usual you should buy the gun, not the story.

Windham makes comspec corner cutter ARs on par with Bushmaster and DPMS but for the same money you can buy a better AR like PSA. Anyone who already has a Windham, etc. that's working out well for them, that's great. But if you're looking to buy a new AR today you've got to compare the comspecs with PSA because PSA gives you a lot more for the money. Last year I put together a $700 PSA just to see what you could get for the money. I got a milspec upper with a FN 16" LW midlength gas barrel, BCM M16 BCG, MBUS2 rear sight, PSA LBK, my own stripped lower, a couple PMAGs and a sling. Other than the midlength gas and semiauto trigger this is as milspec as you can get. Since I used a BCM BCG this PSA compares well with my BCM and Daniel Defense ARs. A very pleasant surprise.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I have to disagree with you Q. Windham AR's are a very good rifle, especially at $700. They build a very good quality gun, and to compare them to DPMS is laughable.

Truth be told their quaility cintrol is on par with S&W, Colt, and PSA. As a matter of fact it is(I believe) a 12 step process. In the time that Ive been selling them, Ive NEVER had a problem.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  9. BRL

BRL Member

Great Price!

I agree, a shooting buddy has one and their quality seems great.

With the original experienced gunsmiths and tooling, I like to think of them as having the original Bushmaster quality, which had a great reputation for a reason.

At that price what are you waiting for?

[​IMG]

10. ccase39

ccase39 Member

I have heard great things about them.

11. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Well, I reckon I am waiting for Monday afternoon to deposit a few work check and to get my butt to cabelas. :). Thanks for all the input guys and gals, appreciate it greatly. :). Now to decide on an optic...:-/

12. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Easy, check out the thread about the Vortex Strykfire. Awesome optic and resonabely priced.

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

What ya plan on using said optic for?

Close quarters combat? Long distance varmint hunting? Plinking?

14. shadow07080

shadow07080 New Member

image-2181974267.jpg

Love Mine!! Couldn't be happier! That is the vortex Sparc red dot

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as mentioned, the Windam Weapons is comprised of the same people who use to be Bushmaster, before Bushmaster as sold to the Freedom Group.

i have one of the older Bushmasters from the original owners. it's an M4A2 16" barreled carbine. i bought it lightly used and have had no problems with it. great rifle.

if the Windam is as good as the older Bushmasters, i think for the price, you will be happy with it.

16. BRL

BRL Member

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Windham probably is better than DPMS but they still fall well short of PSA, Colt and even S&W. I have a simple test that more people should use when buying an AR. Pass on any brand that uses a commercial spec receiver extension... It's a deal breaker. The reason? Well if they don't bother to get such a simple thing right, then what else are their bean counters screwing with! And if you start looking you will find more corners cut.

PSA is the worst nightmare of the comspec ARs because for the same money they get it right. When you have PSA (and Spikes) why support a company that charges the same for lesser parts?

I'm sorry if I get people mad but someone's got to warn new people to compare brands carefully. The devil's in the details and that's a whole lot better story than Windmaster's.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

At one time Bushmaster was something to talk about. They put out a decent AR for much less than the Colt of the 1990s. So did Olympic and Eagle Arms/ArmaLite. But by 2008 the price gap between comspec ARs and Colt and other milspec ARs shrank. By 2010 it got even tighter and PSA pretty much closed the gap. This begs the question today, if PSA can do it, if Spikes can do it, if Sionics can do it then why can't Windhamster/Bushamster/DPMS use higher quality parts. Why do they screw over their customers? Don't be mad at me for sharing a story you guys don't like, be mad at them.

Maybe it's time to look at the specs of this $700 AR Cabelas is selling. Compare to PSA.

19. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I'm not mad Q, I just don't see a commercial tube as a "lesser" quality part than a MilSpec tube. A 1/9 twist isn't much different than 1/7, unless one is shooting heavy bullets past 300yds.

WW has good barrels, triggers(for factory triggers), BCG, etc. They do it right for a good price.

If I were to buy a rifle off of the shelf is buy a WW probably. It just so happens that I'd rather build, and when I do I use mostly PSA parts.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

And that's just it, K, when you build and start choosing parts you want the best for the money. I think that should carry over to a factory gun too. And again the commercial RE is just a simple test that anyone can use to get a glimmer of how an AR stacks up.

An interesting example of this is Stag, for $100 they will "milspec" their AR with what they call the Plus Package. Nice they have this upgrade (since most others don't offer it) but PSA gives it to you for free.